Chapter Five

*

*

I had made a decision last night after watching an eventful episode of Riverdale. I was going to be nice to people. Yup. I, Katie Darlington, was going to start being nice to people. Unless they were rude to me first. Then all hell shall be released onto them.

I'd wear Reeboks in public before ever backing down from a fight.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was a fact.

I figured that what I did to Fat Susie was unfair. I had no right to complain about my tormentors whilst being one myself.

So when I walked into Hilton Secondary School, a smile etched onto my face, you can only guess my reaction to a commment a small blonde girl made to her equally small friend.

"Her hair looks a bit messy,"

"You know? Without that fringe of yours we would see that big forehead you've been trying to hide," I chuckled, "looking like some next beluga whale,"

I looked down at her, figuring she was probably a Year 7 and had no idea how this school worked. Even then, the whole of Kingston knew how this school worked, so her rudeness befuddled me. But what I said wasn't right, and wasn't fair. It was only a small comment and the problem was fixable. Whereas the size of her forehead was not.

"I'm sorry," I choked out, placing a hand on her shoulder, "that was rude and very innapropriate,"

She nodded before blinking a few times. After I had checked she was ok a few more times, I plastered the smile back onto my face and made my way to Art. Which was, unfortunately, spent with some of The Elite.

Archer, Cassandra, Harry and Mikayla made it their first priority to make space for me as soon as I had walked in, pushing another student off his seat and pulling it closer towards them. I muttered a small apology as he walked passed me and sat down.

"Thank you guys, but you seriously didn't need to do that," I ignored their shocked expressions and got my sketchbook out. "You know I've been doing a lot of thinking and realised that I need to be nicer,"

They all sighed a sigh of relief as their questions has been answered. Katie Darlington hadn't gone to school high on crack. She was sober. And was genuinely serious about being nice to people.

"It's going to be weird to get used to but you can do it," Cassandra gave me a small smile whilst Harry scoffed.

"As far as I know, you can only be nice to people for a good five minutes, let alone for the rest of your bloody life," he snorted. I frowned at him, my blood boiling.