*36*

Prince and his all-girl rock band performed between three and five concerts a month, mostly in the US. The after shows that had been a large part of his performing life weren't scheduled, though if shows sold out quickly enough, second shows were added for the same night. Prince and Emma usually flew back home immediately after the concerts ended.

The promised joint doctor visit kept being put off by Prince, while he looked more gaunt each week. Emma and Kirk continued their secret vigil, making sure someone was keeping tabs on Prince, day and night. He did go out to run errands alone from time to time, typically coming back with more vinyl for his collection. When questioned, Prince didn't get defensive, but he wasn't forthcoming.

Things continued this way, with concerts, charitable activities, and the occasional trip to Atlanta to see the girls, or down to the Caribbean to rest. Prince continued to plan the future he envisioned, and began lining up guest lecturers for the school he was planning. Everyone was willing to participate, in fact they were honored to be asked, so it was just a matter of getting schedules meshed.

As Prince and Emma were watching the news one evening, footage of riots in Baltimore following the death of Freddie Gray filled the screen. Prince looked at Emma and said, 'I have to do something about this.'

'What do you want to do?' Emma replied.

'A Rally for Peace, with the proceeds going toward youth programs in Baltimore. We can ask everyone to wear gray.'

That sounds amazing, dear! How long do you think it will take to get it put together?'

'Probably two or three days. I'll get on the phone and see what I can get lined up.'

He was as good as his word. Prince got his band and singers back together and tightened up, and two weeks later there was a Dance Party for Peace at Paisley Park. A few days afterward they were headed to Baltimore. In the week following the concert announcement, thirteen thousand tickets were sold. Prince made sure some of the seats cost less than thirty dollars, and then moved those people to front row seats in the pit at the front of the stage.

It was an amazing concert, with the chant, 'No Curfew' sounding between encores. Rather than a mournful gathering, it truly was a party filled with joyful singing and dancing.

In the plane headed back to Minnesota, Prince hugged Emma and beamed.

'I feel like I really accomplished something tonight. I helped change the focus from anger to joy for a large group of people. If that could just spread like a virus, we might make some headway in this world.'

'I'm so proud of you, and I love that your heart is so full right now. Your work for other people is inspiring every day, husband.'

'Your support and love for me makes it all possible, wife.' Two sets of eyes gazed at each other, two smiles reflected joy back at each other. Two hearts beat as one.

Soon after that, Prince walked into the kitchen, where Emma was enjoying a cup of coffee, and said, 'I think I'm going to write my memoirs. Springsteen is, so are several other musicians. I think my story is worth telling, and I want to make sure it's told my way. What do you think?'

'I love this idea! People will snap up anything you write, since you are so respected. It's another way for you to get your message out. Let me know how I can help.'

'Just keep being on my side. That means more than anything to me. Oh, I just got off the phone with Stevie. Have you ever been to the White House?'

'What? Are you kidding me? Of course I haven't been to the White House! Why?'