Chapter 7

This time I bring a whole bunch of Barbies over when I go to Angelina's house. She seemed to like the Barbie last time and I want something I can play with her to brake the ice. I am hoping that this time we might make a lot more progress. I really just want my baby to like me.

A well-dressed Nathan answers the door. He is followed by a well-dressed Chris. They are both rushing to get off.

"Now Ainge you behave for Steff. And please try and spend some time with her." Chris asks.

They both head off and I am alone with Angelina. Luckily this time she stays down with me and doesn't try and get away from me. She is still a bit hesitant.

"Hey Angelina, I brought more Barbies."

Her eyes widen as she sees the 5 boxes in my hands. I pass them to her and she looks at them with excitement.

"So do you want to play with me?" I ask. She looks up at me and shakes her head. Once again breaking my shattered heart.

"Look Ainge, can I talk to you on the couch for about 5 minutes. After that if you don't want to see me for the rest of the night you don't have to."

"Fine." She huffs.

I walk over with her onto the blue couch.

"Angelina. You know I have been missing you for a very long time. And I really want to be friends with you. But you seem to hate me. Why?"

She shrugs. "Dad and daddy have been yelling about you a lot. Dad wants you to be able to see me but daddy doesn't want you to."

I put my hand on her shoulder. "Oh I see baby. But what do you want?"

"I just want them to stop yelling at each other."

"I see. So you see me as the cause of their arguing." She nods. "Well Angelina. All I can say is hopefully they will stop eventually. But unfortunately that's just what parents do. It's not your fault and there is nothing you can do about it. Everyone just doesn't agree all of the time."

"But why?" She huffs.

"You will understand all of it a lot more when you're older. For now do you just want to play Barbies."

She nods her head. My baby finally wants to voluntarily spend time with me.

I grab a pair of scissors and try to get the dolls out of the packaging. It is a lot harder than it looks. After a 15 minute struggle I mange to get one doll out. I don't want to try the other ones.

"Angelina maybe we should save the other dolls for another time. Do you have some dolls that are already open?" She nods her head and runs off to her room. Now that we have had that chat she seems a lot happier.

She brings back 3 dolls. One of them is the one I gave her the last time I saw her.

I take a good look at the dolls. It was no wonder why girls have such low self-esteem. By letting them play with dolls like these we are just telling them that the average body is a models body. Though these dolls are out of even a models proportions.

"You know these are just dolls. You don't have to look like this when you grow up." I tell her. "99.9% of girls don't."

"What is a percent?" She asks.

I laugh. "It's math stuff. It means out of 100 but you don't have to know that yet. Just know that you don't have to look like this."

"Okay." She smiles and gets back to her dolls.

We start playing and before we know it her parents are back. They arrive a lot earlier than originally expected. I can sense a high tension between them.

I get ready to leave. "Goodbye Angelina."

"No Steff. Don't go, it was just getting good." She complains.

"Oh well maybe she could just stay for another 10 minutes." Chris suggests.

"I think she probably needs to get home." Nathan says his voice obviously pointing out that he wants me gone.

I start to leave but Angelina hugs onto me. I hug her back. "I'm going to miss you Ainge." I say.

"I don't want you to go." She says.

"Look Angelina. I have to go." I lean down to whisper into her ear. "But here is my number. If you want to ring me for absolutely anything you just ring. I will stop doing anything I'm doing so I can talk to you."

I write the number on a piece of paper and give it to her.

"Okay." She smiles and walks off.

I can't even describe the feeling I feel now that my baby wants me to be with her. But I can say it is amazing.