College: New and Scary

CeCe wasn't totally new to the concept of college. She remembered when her two older brothers went away for school. It was sad for her at first, their separate rooms were always so still. Nothing ever changed, the blankets on their beds never moved and dust collected on every surface. CeCe was always happiest when the two of them would come home for winter and summer break. Seeing their faces each new time, she could pinpoint exactly how theg had changed. One of them got a different haircut, one got tanner, the other started growing his facial hair out just to a little scruff. She watched them grow up into a young men. She loved them both dearly.

One of her brother's first roommate situation was a joke. There were two of them and one snored and the other took hour long showers, even though California was in a drought. He switched out of that for the coming years and was happier from there on out. 

CeCe's biggest fear was being put into a similar situation. 

Her mother was the only one who came to help her unpack. Her relationship with her father was - simply put - tricky and messy.

"You know he loves you" her mother said, and CeCe nodded, no matter how much she questioned that statement.

"Of course he does, he is my father after all. But he didn't need to act like a child, the plan he laid out for me gave me no choice but to do this, we both know that." CeCe's father only knew how to love his children in two ways: mental abuse/manipulation, and projecting his youth onto them. It wasn't his fault, his father was absent in his life, he had no idea what a father was supposed to be. But CeCe had known for a long time that when she turned eighteen, she would be gone, college or not.

CeCe and her mother checked into the front desk of her dorm building before unloading her boxes. She didn't bring much, wanting to create a new life here instead of dragging around her past.

"What is your first and last name?" The girl behind the desk asked. She was wearing a UCSB sweatshirt and CeCe sweated just looking at her, it was practically boiling outside. And the humidity - don't even get started on that.

"Cecelia Day" CeCe responded, watching as the girl's fingers moved swiftly along the keypad. 

"You were fine with co-ed, right?" She stood with a clipboard cradled in her arms. CeCe nodded. "Great. You're on floor 3 room number 457" Handing CeCe a business card with the details on the back.

"Thank you" And then CeCe and her mother were piling things out of the minivan and setting them up in her new dorm room. CeCe's roommate hadn't arrived yet, which was a viewed as a plus so she could choose her prefered side of the room. Choosing the one with the larger window, her mother made her bed while CeCe unloaded her computer and school things at her new desk.
Once the room was close to being finished, CeCe stood back and viewed her side. It wasn't the most glamorous, but she already felt at home. As long as her room mate was chill, she knew she would make it here.

Cecelia Day was anything but stupid, so of course she knew the waterworks were about to begin. Her mother sniffled, and as much as CeCe relished in the fact that her freedom was literally seconds away, she knew tonight would be hard. She knew her mother's heart would ache, but she knew her heart would ache just as much. As much as you can despise your parents for particular things, they will always be your parents. As CeCe and her mother tightly embraced each other, tears falling, CeCe's roommate entered the room, made a startled face, as if her nose was trying to make it up to her forehead, and she ducked out. 

CeCe walked her mother back down to the parking lot and waved goodbye until she could no longer see her down the road, the minivan disappearing into the concrete and palm trees.

When she arrived back in the dorm room her roommate was there, her back turned as she piled a bag of books up on her desk. She had short black hair that framed her fair skinned cheekbones elegantly. She was beautiful.