I'M NOT YOUR HOSTAGE

Naomi without knowing had already been there for several days. That night she lay asleep, dreaming on her bed. The door creaked open with a shadow entering in. The shadow walked around until standing two feet next to her bed, he smiled watching her dream. She turned her body his direction, moving her body wormishly around to get comfy, she got the right position smiling in her sleep. It was Heath. Heath's fingers softly stroked her cheek. She was so peaceful in her sleep, calm and frozen in her appearance. She was even more beautiful when awake, when she was happy and beaming with life. Being a king sized bed he laid beside, careful not to wake her up. The rope was a barrier but there was more than enough room. He rest at her side for the remaining of the night with his arm wrapped around her.

Waking up alone, she ignored the blue guys advice. No way was she waiting two weeks, motionless. Naomi sat up, straightening her back. All her bones cracked. Her bones had become her very own musical instruments; she needed to move. She needed to get out.

Hours drifted on slowly, how painful to sit there unable to move her legs or arms. Just sit almost paralyzed with no company or entertainment to pass time other than the dreaded ticking clock in the background. Some could say it was unbearable. She couldn’t say anything, no one to say it to. Or talk. Nothing even to listen to from boredom in the background but that ticking clock, the rest was silent. Nothing to gaze into. Just to sit. Sitting... Sitting... Sitting... The saying ‘I’d rather watch paint dry’ was an understatement. Anything would have been better than this.      

Eventually, after long waiting, to what had seemed a life time, Heath came in with a plate of food.

“You must be starving” he emphasized walking up to her, trying to feed her. Her mouth didn’t open, and her pale blue eyes hadn’t looked up yet, instead set on looking down on the bed.

How could he do this to me? She thought. Wasn’t boyfriends meant to play the saving role? Not the ‘hey, you met my pal, Dracula? Well since you’re here in his castle with all these crazy minions around let’s just stay.’ Still, the relationship of them hadn’t exactly been established yet of what they were. A DTR wasn't in order for him but perhaps she felt she needed one. Naomi’s face remained passive and half hidden down. Her eyes shot up angrily.

“I’m sorry, OK? You must hate me and think I’m crazy but if you just wait and see, I’m trying to make an arrangement with the elders that I will be your tutor. It’s just hard because it’s not actually my job but –“. (He didn’t have one at all. Having a job was only optional if you wanted one in IKTRIBIA). Naomi told him it was too late and somebody had already been chosen. “Chosen! Chosen who?!” he outburst.

“Don’t shout at me.” Her gaze turned away from him.

“I’m sorry.” Heath lowered his voice, apologising.

Naomi could be more honest with Heath because she knew him better. She had known him for three years. Three beautiful, terrible, magical, horrible, hot years. She wouldn’t try to persuade the fish guy to let her out again in bad luck he’d take it to the authority. She didn’t want the next step. And she sure as hell didn’t want to meet them. She just wanted to get out of here with Heath and get back to her friends and her normal life. This was her last chance...

“Heath, this is kidnapping.” She tried to make him aware of the situation. She knew him and she knew sometimes he didn’t get what he was doing was wrong. This needed to be explicated.

“No, it’s saving.” He retorted in full belief.

“You’re holding me hostage.” She tried harder to explicate in him.

“You’d never be able to get out, anyway. So you’d only just end up here again except with a lot more people angry at you. I’m just saving you from the trouble.” He said.