A LITTLE SURPRISE AROUND THE BEND

Naomi laid there asleep with her wrists and ankles tied up....   The door opened and closed.....   Creeeeek, shtoom....   Sneaking up, one foot carefully, silently in front of the other......   until at the end of her bed, one hid.......   Bobbing his head up slowly, peeking.......   He screamed.

“Raaaaaaar!” Naomi’s eyes shot up wide awoke. Shock and surprise triggered her nerves awake to an early morning. “Hey sleeping beauty” he grinned acting a slick voice out then jumped on her bed purposely being a nuisance. It was the blue guy – her watcher. Naomi sat there immobile and annoyed, not looking at him. She wanted to cross her arms but couldn't. The blue guy complimented, “A lot of people heard your beautiful singing last night. I personally didn’t otherwise I would have come over” he put his hand to his chest, speaking casually, softly, “but I would advise you to SHUT-UP.” He surprisingly shouted the last two words.

“Why should I?” Naomi said stubbornly.

He rolled around, on his stomach, still laying on her bed. “Believe it or not I care about you. And I heard you tried to run away... plus with all the screaming last night . . . I’m going to try and protect you but if you keep this up the elders won’t tolerate it anymore and most likely execute you - obscurely.” Her eyebrows lifted, looking stunned. She was surprised that he cared and did so enough for the honesty she didn't expect from him. Her face changed again. Grimmer. Naomi sighed.

“You’re not the first to have said that to me.”

“Your boyfriend?” Naomi said nothing. “Are you alright?”

“I’ve been kidnapped by sea monsters and I’m tied to a bed and you’re asking me if I’m alright?” she summarized. Sea monster, he took offence to and got up leaving. Those words hurt... “No, wait! I’m sorry!” Naomi quickly called him back. Both were equally surprised by her action.

Her watcher came back and sat down. This time pulling a wooden chair out of the hall and planted it nearby her bed. He turned it the wrong direction and sat down using the back end to rest his elbows on, leaning slightly in. 

This was the first time Naomi was able to have a good look at him. She examined him up and down. He was no taller than Heath but he was a lot smaller. Without the abs. Without the muscle. He didn't really have much meat on him. He looked like an undercasing of what would be hidden underneath. That was a surprise for her. She imagined sea creatures to have a physique like Triton. Surprises, surprises. It wasn't hard to noticed he had really bright blue eyes. They were imposible to miss. Abnormally bright blue. She wondered if they were even human or something more from their dexterity. Enchantingly too bright... He had messy brown spiky hair, a little covering his face. His face and skin a pale blue. Naomi absorbed it in, trying to process it all. He gave her the time...

"Why are you being nice to me?" she finally asked.

"Are you surprised? What did you want me to be? Just from one single look at me did you expect me to be evil?" He asked.

Naomi didn't want to answer. It was Yes. But he didn't seem as monster-evil, harsh primordial, sea fossil as she expected he would be. It sounded silly and foolhardy now.

Then a question bubbled in her head she had never wondered. “You know I’ve been here for awhile but I don’t even know your name.”

He thought for a long second, looking away wearing a 'trying really hard to think' face. “John Smith.” He decided.

“Oh, now your real name?” Naomi simpered.

“Well . . . I can’t remember my old one because when I joined the authority I was endowed a new title . . . it’s kind of embarrassing.” He rubbed the back of his neck, not being able to remain eye contact. Naomi wanted to know even more now.

“Come on, you can say.” She urged.

He let out a long and heavy sigh, giving in. With hesitation he answered, “. . . . . . . Genicanthus.”

Before Naomi could stop herself she was cracking up in laughter. Unable to detain herself, she hadn’t felt so good since she got here so this one little moment she was going to hold onto and wouldn't let go. HI GENNY she imagined in her head. She kept laughing that her stomach began to ache but couldn't stop.

“You mean like the angelfish?” she was finally able to speak but kept on laughing in surprise. She just couldn't stop.

“Laugh it up but remember they’re violent and aggressive so I will go ninja style on your ass, OK?” he pointed at her, mucked around, grinning.

“Ok” she wiped away a real tear of  laughter. She couldn't believe that she had cried. “I’m sure you’re a very tough one when you want to be” she sarcastically played along, seeing what would happen, humour still in her voice.

“Oh, I know” he grinned in a gloating voice, posing his feeble arm. Biceps, triceps???

Naomi and Genicanthus talked for ages with Naomi laughing most of it. It felt good to laugh for a change and was a much different presence then Heath's. His vibe was diverse, it was....happy? But soon Genicanthus had to leave to get back to another job he had to attend to for the authority. She still didn't know who they were. Were they the reason she was here? So many questions. Walking out the door, he turned around when hearing Naomi call out his name.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“You're my watcher, right? My detour guide. I was hoping if you could arrange, well if you could.. Can you make sure Heath doesn’t come in here anymore?” she asked no longer feeling the same for him. After what had happened yesterday whatever was left between them had dried up and died. She didn't want to see him again after that.

“I’ll see to it” he was curiously surprised. And left.

Naomi sat there still in surprise of that encounter. No weapons, no threats (real ones), no force, just friendly? He was genuine, funny and kind. He’s trying to make sure I don’t get hurt (more than just from the dizziness of how many times I’ve gone unconscious). And I don’t know how many times he made me laugh. Naomi thought trailing off to all the different times. One made her chuckle. Maybe they’re not all monsters – just maybe. Naomi lied there staring up at the ceiling forgetting her dull surrounding box and getting lost in her thoughts and lasting the surprisement. 

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8!

Comment, vote and follow!