Four

Four

*~*~*~*

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?" Clary asked once we had all arrived back at the Institute.

"Because we protect humans." Izzy answered her.

"You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van." Clary scoffed, sending daggers Izzy's way. "Great job, guys. You rock."

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec commented.

"Alec, not now." Jace warned him.

"No, he's right." I sided with the taller Shadowhunter. "None of this would have happened if Simon had had the sense to stay put. Or, better yet, if she'd had the sense to keep a mundane out of our world. She has no right to blame this all on Izzy."

"Zia." Jace shook his head. "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that?" Clary ran a hand through her hair. "What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec said.

"Great." Clary rolled her eyes.

"They have to know what we've learned about Valentine." Alec defended his decision.

"What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them." Clary waved him off. "What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected." Jace told her. "The vamps want the Cup."

"Why?" She asked. "It makes new Shadowhunters."

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Jace stated the obvious.

"Plus, it controls demons." Izzy chimed in.

"Which we could use to kill Valentine." I suggested, though everyone seemed to ignore me.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup." Jace explained to her.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love." Clary pointed out. "What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

"So this doesn't matter to you?" Alec narrowed his eyes at her.

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary exclaimed. "Listen... when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true." Izzy agreed. "She was raised as a mundane."

"What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec scoffed at his sister.

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan." Clary stressed as she led the way into the main room, gesturing all around her. "Look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon? Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

"Actually, no." Jace shook his head. "That was Camille's outfit, right?"

"Raphael." I nodded, earning a confused glance from both Jace and Alec while Izzy only smirked.

"They're locals." Jace continued.

"They're at the Hotel DuMort, down on Gansevoort Street." Izzy added.