Twenty-Nine

Twenty-Nine

*~*~*~*

"Absolutely not." I looked up from the book I'd been reading to find Magnus leading Simon and Clary into his living room.

"Is it possible?" Clary asked the warlock, not even seeming to register my presence. "Magnus, tell me, can it be done? Yes or no?"

"Sure, there are warlocks who've done this sort of thing." Magnus sighed as I put my book aside, focusing on their conversation. Whatever Clary was asking him about was clearly upsetting him, making me curious. "But what you're talking about is dark, dark magic. It's wildly unpredictable."

"Have you ever done it before?" Simon asked.

"No. And don't encourage this." Magnus shook his head before he looked back at Clary, a look of pity filling his eyes. "Biscuit, I'm sorry. I know how important she was to you."

"She was my mom." Clary refused to back down. "If you were me, if we were talking about your mom..."

"Clary," I finally spoke up, knowing that Clary was treading on dangerous waters now, Magnus having told me about his family before.

"I wouldn't bring her back." Magnus frowned instantly at the mention of his mother.

"I don't understand." Clary looked at him as though he were crazy.

"I was nine years old when my mother realized what my cat eyes meant." Magnus sighed. I pushed myself up from my seat, walking over to my friend, giving his hand a comforting squeeze, knowing that his family was a touchy subject for him. "She couldn't live with the fact that she bore the son of a demon. So she took her life. With this very keris."

"I'm so sorry." Clary apologized. "I didn't know."

"It was a long time ago." Magnus tried to brush it off. "And over time, it... It dot easier. Never easy, but easier. Your mother was a special woman. She only wanted to protect you at all costs. So much so that she had me remove your memories. Since we can't get those back... Take one of mine."

Magnus snapped his fingers, making a picture of a younger Jocelyn and Clary appear in his hands, handing it over to the red head.

"Oh, my God." She smiled at the photo. "When was this?"

"The day I met you." He told her. "The first thing I noticed is that you both share the same laugh. Losing your mom, it's not something you make better with magic. You just head straight into it and cry your eyes out."

"Clary," I sighed as she walked out of the room, Simon right on her heels. At the sound of the front door closing, I turned back to Magnus. "Hey, you okay?"

"Are any of us ever?" He gave a weak chuckle, his gave drifting to the keris. "So, how long will you be hiding out here this time?"

"I'm not hiding." I rolled my eyes. "I'm just giving Alec some space. After everything with Jocelyn, he's been having a tough time. I mean, I want to be there to help him, but I know that he just needs some space. He doesn't need me breathing down his neck like Izzy and Jace are doing."

"Some would argue that you're exactly who he needs breathing down his neck right now." He countered before a frown filled his lips, his brows furrowing. "What is it? What's bothering you?"

"I've been thinking about them... my parents." I took a deep breath. "Magnus, you said that my father was a warlock. If that's true, could it affect me? Could that make me like him, immortal?"

"I'm not sure," he sighed. "It's possible, but there's no way of knowing until it becomes obvious."

"You mean, until ten years from now when I either look the same as I do now or have wrinkles and my hair's starting to gray." I frowned. "Magnus, what if I am immortal? What about Izzy? Jace? Max? Alec? I mean, what will I do, having to watch the people I love grow old and die while I'm stuck outliving all of them?"