Seven

Seven

*~*~*~*

"All clear." Alec alerted Jace we joined him and Clary in line outside the club we were to meet Magnus.

"Do you think red's my color?" Izzy asked, playing with the ruby necklace that rested around her neck.

"Iz, with a body like yours, everything's your color." Clary chuckled.

"Good point." Izzy nodded. "Damn, I make this necklace look so good."

"Will you take it off?" Alec huffed. "I'm certain Magnus Bane doesn't want drool on his ruby when we make the exchange."

"You know, I wouldn't be so sure." Izzy smirked. "Most men like it when I admire their jewels."

"Can you just give it back to Zia?" Alec told her.

"You're such a buzzkill." Izzy chuckled as she took off the necklace and handed it over to me. Only a few minutes later we were let into the club, finding the music blasting throughout the small space as people danced all around us.

"Blend in. Keep your weapons ready." Jace instructed all of us. I scanned over the crowd until I spotted a familiar face towards the back of the club, causing a grin to fill my lips.

"Magnus!" I called out to the warlock, causing him to look up from his compact and at me. A smile filled his lips as I approached him, Clary and Jace following behind me. I didn't hesitate to pull the taller man into a hug, his arms wrapping right around me instantly.

"Its been too long, my dear." He pressed a kiss to my cheek before stepping back, looking me over. "How are you?"

"Magnus." Jace spoke up, causing us to look back at him and Clary.

"Clary Fairchild." Magnus smiled at the young woman. "You're grown into a beautiful young woman."

"Magnus Bane." Clary crossed her arms. "So you're the one who stole my memories."

"At your mother's request. She knew the risk." Magnus waved off her accusation before he looked back at me. "May I see my jewelry, Elizabeth?"

"Give Clary back her memories, and you get the jewelry." Jace shook his head.

"I have to confirm it's authenticity." Magnus insisted.

"Here." I handed him the necklace, ignoring the sharp looks I earned from the other two.

"Amor verus numquam moritur." Magnus smiled as he read the engraving aloud. "True love cannot die. Oh, how I've missed this jewel."

"Now, it's turn to pay up." Jace reminded him.

"I wish I could retrieve your memories, but I no longer have them." Magnus admitted, causing all of our eyes to widen in surprise. While I had expected Magnus to be hiding something, I hadn't expected it to be this.

"What?" Clary questioned. "Where are they?"

"I fed them to a memory demon for safekeeping." Magnus shared.

"And why the hell would you do that?" Jace glared at him.

"To protect Clary and the Cup." Magnus spoke as though it were obvious. "If Valentine ever captured me, he could torture Clary's memories out of me. Just like he tortured Dot."

"Tortured?" Clary's voice broke. "Wait, is Dot okay?"

"You don't know?" Magnus truly seemed surprised by this, sparing a glance in my direction. "Dot is dead."