Fifteen

Fifteen

*~*~*~*

"Don't squirm." Robert scolded his son as he worked on Alec, helping him with the deep cut on his bicep. Izzy sat next to him on the bed, her hands resting on Alec's knee while I sat on her other side, unable to tear my eyes away from Alec's arm for more than a few seconds. I couldn't help but blame myself. If I had gone with Magnus to give Alec the report then I could have been there to help with the Forsaken, kept Alec from getting hurt.

"I'm not. It doesn't even hurt." Alec insisted, but we all knew he was lying. His phone went off and I watched as he pulled it out of his pocket, but before he could answer it I took the phone from him.

"No talking, just healing." Izzy told him as I walked out of the room, answering the call when I saw that it was Jace.

"Alec, I need you." Jace said as soon as I answered.

"It's Zia." I told him. "We need you. There's been an attack at the Institute."

"An attack?" He repeated my words.

"Valentine created a Forsaken that went through the wards." I explained.

"That's not possible, Zia. Nothing can get through the wards." Jace shot down the idea instantly. "They're.. They're warlock spells to defend against all Downworlders."

"Not this one." I shook my head. "It had Seelie blood injected into it, with angel properties. Jace, it went after Hodge and Alec."

"Are they okay?" He asked. "Is Alec-"

"They're banged up, but they'll live." I assured him. "Hodge killed it. It was after the-"

"The Cup." Clary's voice came through the phone.

"Zia, I'll be there as soon as I can." He promised me before ending the call.

*~*~*~*

I watched from my desk as Magnus worked on new wards for the Institute, Alec and Robert keeping a close eye on him. I couldn't hear what they were saying as they spoke, but once Robert left the other two alone, I could see the discomfort forming on Alec's face. I had no doubt that Magnus was messing with him, one of his favorite pastimes.

"You're staring." Izzy hummed as she leaned against my desk.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I lied, not taking my eyes away from Alec and Magnus as I saw the former walk away. As though he felt my gaze, Magnus looked my way, flashing me a small smile.

"Meliorn?" I tore my gaze away from Magnus, following Izzy's eyes to see her ex-boyfriend being led inside. Izzy didn't hesitate to walk over to the Seelie, with me right on her tail. "What are you doing here?"

"The Clave called me in for some kind of conference." Meliorn informed us.

"I'm so happy to see you." Izzy hugged him, though he didn't return the gesture.

"Spare me," he pulled away from her. "Your fire message clearly stated you never wanted to see me again."

"My family-" Izzy began.

"Despises Downworlders?" Meliorn guessed, his gaze flickering in my direction before he looked back at her. "That's common knowledge."

"That's not true." Izzy shook her head. "And even if it were, I'm not like that."

"I'm not here to talk about us." Meliorn cleared his throat. "I believe that's your Clave envoy."

"Isabelle, Elizabeth, please step aside." Lydia ordered us as she joined us, two Shadowhunters behind her. "Meliorn, the Clave has ordered that you be placed under arrest."