Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight

*~*~*~*

"Lydia!" I called out as soon as I spotted the other blonde. She turned around at the sound of her voice, seeming relieved when she saw me hurrying over to join her.

"I thought you were helping Magnus with something?" She raised a brow at me.

"I was, Izzy texted me." I explained as we started walking through the halls together, keeping our eyes peeled. "She said the demon got into the Institute, killed someone else."

"Sadly," she sighed as we turned a corner, finding Raj walking up ahead of us. "If you're trying to make up for your incompetence, don't bother. I'm not in a making-up mood."

"Wow." Lydia and I both tensed when Raj spoke up, though it wasn't his voice we heard. It was a demonic one. "No wonder Alec ditched you for a warlock."

"I've always wanted to do this." I smirked as Lydia and I both pulled out our seraph blades, wasting no time in attacking Raj. He easily blocked our moves, knocking our weapons from our hands and throwing us against the wall, growling at us.

"You want a piece of this? Come get it!" Lydia taunted him. Without any warning, Raj charged at Lydia, digging his fingers into her chest. She screamed in pain as he tried to kill her. I jumped into action, punching him in the face and sending him stumbling back. Lydia quickly followed my move by roundhouse kicking him in the face. We watched as his head snapped to one side, only to snap back into place, a snarl filling his lips.

"Lydia, go!" I pushed the older woman back, allowing her to get around Raj. When I went to follow her though, I only found myself thrown to the ground. Raj pressed his foot to my back to hold me down as he grabbed my right arm, easily snapping it at an angle in wasn't supposed to bend. I couldn't help the scream of pain that escaped me.

"Zia!" I heard Alec yell as I managed to flip myself over. I could see Alec release an arrow, sending it into Raj's leg. Alec readied another arrow, but stopped as Raj started to groan. We watched as black smoke, the demon, left him and quickly flew into the vent. I grasped my arm close to my chest as Alec hurried over to me, kneeling down beside me. "You're okay."

"I should of stayed with Magnus." I groaned through the pain.

*~*~*~*

"Hey, shouldn't you still be in the infirmary?" Clary frowned at me when she found me heading towards my room, my arm in a sling. "The demon got you pretty badly."

"I'm fine." I shook my head. "I just need to change my clothes and then I can get back to work."

"What does Alec say about that?" She raised a brow.

"He doesn't control me." I rolled my eyes as we turned the corner that led to our rooms. Both of us stopped though, finding Alec on the floor, leaning against the wall. My eyes zeroed in on his right hand, seeing the blood that covered it. "Alec. Alec?"

"What did I do?" He asked, shaken as I knelt down beside him. We all looked at the bloody shoe prints beside him and I watched as Clary followed them into the room that Alec was sitting outside of, Clary's room. Though I couldn't see into the room myself from where I was at, I watched as Clary stood in the doorway. I could see her eyes widen at the sight of whatever she saw inside, a gasp escaping her as she fell to the floor, her hand covering her mouth.

"Clary?" I whispered the girl's name as Alec and I both stood up, walking over to look into the bedroom. My eyes widened at the sight of Jocelyn laying dead on the floor, a hole in her chest.