18. It Could Never Be That Way

One thing was for certain, Party didn't like being stuck in a bed. It would be another week before he would be able to walk around, and at least two full weeks before the other Killjoys would let him go driving again. I visited him every single day, and told him about the events that occurred when he wasn't around. Party began to trust me to drive his car (a huge honor, might I add), and I made sure to check up on Psycho and the rest of my old friends all the time.

"So, is Party your...boyfriend?" Psycho had asked me on one of my visits to the radio shack. I almost laughed at the thought.

"God, no. That would never happen."

But then I thought about all the times we stood outside of the diner, watching the stars. I remembered when he promised to never leave me, and the thought stayed in my head the entire day.

Electra still hated my guts. I decided to face my fears and go into her shop to get some hair dye (expenses covered by Party, bless his soul). I brought Toxic and Volume along with me for support. Volume had my back the entire time.

"Oh, it's you." Electra scowled at me as I opened the door to her store.

"Yeah, you got a problem?" Volume crossed her arms.

"Yes. I do." Electra narrowed her eyes, and disappeared into the back room.

"What a bitch." Volume whispered to me as we went to find the hair dye.

"I dunno, she seemed nice when I spoke to her last." Toxic shrugged. I found a shelf dedicated to various elaborate dyes.

"What do you think?" I asked my two friends, tracing my fingers over the boxes, pictures of pre-fire models showing off the shades.

"Well, I personally think that light blue fits your whole outfit, or maybe white..." Volume picked up a sky blue hair dye.

"Definitely not white." I shut down that idea. There was no way I wanted to have the same hair colour as Val. I hadn't seen that cocky asshole in a while.

"Wow, I'm offended."

'Speak of the devil.'

Val Velocity was standing behind me, his blue eyes looking amused at my surprise.

"Who's he?" Toxic whispered to me. I didn't answer.

"What brings you here, Freia?" The white haired Killjoy tilted his head, the same cocky grin on his face.

"What does it look like." I scoffed, holding up the hair dye. "It's Atomic now."

Val let out a deep chuckle.

"Ah yes, Miss Atomic Bomb. I've heard about you."

'How did he know that?'

"News travels fast, I guess. Now if you don't mind, I'll be on my way." I turned around, Volume and Toxic following in my lead. But I didn't get that far until I felt Val's strong hands spinning me back around to face him.

"I would advise you to stay away from the 'Fabulous Four'. They don't know what they're doing. You'd be better off with me." Val spoke into my ear, making my hair stand on end.

"Let go of me!" I forced my arm out of his grasp. As I was storming off, Val gave me one last warning.

"We're fighting for the same cause, but remember who's side you're on."

I ignored him, slapping down three Carbons on the front counter. Electra was waiting, reluctantly taking my money.

"Have a nice day." She rolled her eyes at me.

I didn't want to go back to that store for a while.

---

We were back in the church, and Smoke was helping me dye my hair.

"You know, I think this colour really suits you." He commented as I hung my head over an old, rusty bath tub.

"I sure as hell hope it does. I'm only doing this as a disguise." I told him, massaging the dye into my hair. I pushed my body up from the tub, letting the hair dye settle for a bit.

"So, you and Party seem close." Smoke sat next to me, nudging my shoulder.

'Oh god, not again."

"It's not like that, I swear." I responded, shaking my head.

"I know, but you want it to be like that." He looked at me with understanding.

"I can tell, just by the way you talk about him. I've only seen him once, but I know you. You were the same with Psycho, back in Detroit."

Maybe he was right.

"No. He'd never like me back anyways. Besides, the world is ending. I don't have time for that sort of thing."

"Mmhmmmm. " Smoke smirked. I rolled my eyes, and put my head back in the tub. Smoke dumped a bucked of water on my head, and I vigorously scrubbed my hair. After the excess dye had ran down the drain, I examined my new hair in the mirror.

"Not bad." I nodded, pleased with what I had done. Smoke tossed me a towel, and I threw it over my scalp.

"Hey, Freia?"

"Yeah?" I averted my attention from the mirror to face my best friend.

"Don't let him go. You have a chance to be happy with him. Don't blow it because the world went to shit."

I nodded. That's all I could seem to do.

---

"Damn, Atomic!" Ghoul was surprised to see what I had done to my hair.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" Jet tilted his head, smirking at me.

"Bad ass." Kobra winked.

"CAN I DYE MY HAIR?" Dylan grabbed onto my leg.

"Maybe." I smiled down at the little boy.

"You should go show Party. I'm sure he'll looooove it." Ghoul advised me. I went out to go visit the bed-ridden leader.

---

"Wow, you look great!" Party's eyes widened when I walked into his room.

"You think?" I twirled a strand of light blue hair in my fingers.

"Definitely. Come sit down, I need you to tell me about the day. It's so boring in here." Party patted his hand down on his bed. I sat down next to him, crossing my legs.

"Well, Electra still hates me, and I ran into Val again." I told him. Party groaned in frustration.

"I don't even know what his problem is. He's so damn reckless."

"I also visited Psycho." I continued. Party didn't seem happy at the mention of my old boyfriend's name.

"Do you still like him?" He asked me.

"I don't know." I bowed my head. I hand't thought about it much since I was reunited with Psycho. I used to be head-over-heels for him. I had a lot of stuff on my mind now.

"Well, he seems nice." Party patted my hand.

"Are you giving me your blessing?" I giggled.

"If that's what you want to call it." He cracked his signature flirtatious smile.

I spent the remaining hour of daylight sitting in Party's bed, and carried on into the dead of the night. Something about being there made me feel safe. It made me forget all of the danger I was in.

But I knew that having anything to do with Party would make everything just a bit more deadly.