22. Thank You, BL/ind

"Now so much I know that things just don't grow,
If you don't bless them with your patience.
And I've been there before, I held up the door,
For every stranger with a promise."

::Emmylou- First Aid Kit::

*********************************************************

It was almost nighttime when an exhausted Party Poison slumped down in the booth across from me and Jet. Kobra and Ghoul were next, stumbling into the diner with heavy breaths.

"Jesus, are you guys okay?" I asked, my voice laced with concern. Kobra snorted, and next thing I knew, the three boys were doubled over with laughter. Jet and I exchanged a confused glance.

"Care to explain what's so funny?" Jet crossed his arms.

"Okay so..." Ghoul started, tears in his eyes.

"We were driving down Route Guano, and we ran into some Dracs, but they didn't see us. We snuck up on them and I shot one so the rest turned around and Party almost lost his balls." he cackled. Party shushed him, but he was letting out the weirdest laugh I had ever heard. It was the most genuine laugh I think I've seen him let out. The situation wasn't funny, but his fit of giggles was contagious.

"Party, shut up. Your laugh is like a chicken with food poisoning." Kobra teased his brother, causing Ghoul to fall on the ground, clutching his stomach.

"Oh for god's sake, are you guys stoned?" Jet had his head in his hands. Party had calmed down a little.

"I wish." He sighed. Ghoul was still on the ground, just lying there.

"You know, Kobra, you have phenomenal feet." He commented, rolling his head towards Kobra, who was still laughing. I didn't know that he even did that.

"Okay, get up. You need to eat." I pressed my boot lightly into Ghoul's ribs. He grunted as he got back up on his feet.

"Y'know what? I think we should go into the city tomorrow. We're running low on stuff to do out here." Jet suggested, bringing out seven cans of beans (thank god). Dylan and Missile ran over to grab their own cans, and then went to their separate booth.

"I wouldn't mind picking some stuff up from my old apartment." I dug my rusty metal spoon into the cold mush of beans.

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea." Party nodded in agreement. We ate in silence, and it was getting sort of awkward until I felt Party's boot brush against my leg. I arched my eyebrow at him, and his immediate response was to blow me a kiss. I rolled my eyes and chuckled to myself, taking another bite of my dinner.

"So, Atomic, how are you and Psycho going?" Kobra asked.

'Kobra, what the hell?'

"What's that supposed to mean?" I looked away from him, pretending not to care.

"Y'know, you guys being together and all."

I nearly spit out my cold ass beans.

"I'm not with Psycho." I glared at the man sitting a few feet away from me. The rest of the room was silent.

"Just saying, it's really obvious that he likes you. I was at Dr. D's station the other day and I heard him talking about it to Show Pony." Kobra told me. I felt Party's leg stiffen from under the table.

"Yeah, well, I don't like him back." I shrugged. "He's just my friend who I happened to have a thing with when I was fourteen."

Ghoul seemed to sense that some tension was forming, and stepped in to help.

"Besides, I'm pretty sure that someone with that lame of a name isn't worth our Atomic's time."

I smiled. In all fairness, David was pretty damn lame.

"Yeah, he also kinda smells like Cheetos." Jet added. Party loosened up a little.

"He would never play Monopoly with me b'cuz he just wanted to play Assassins Creed." Dylan told us from the other booth.

"He's really pale, and I don't think I've ever seen him outside of that damn shack." Said Kobra, who seemed to realize that he almost crossed the line.

"I have better things to think about besides Psycho anyways." I spoke up, giving Party a sideways smirk.

"Gosh, Kids, would you look at the time. Off to bed with you." Party looked down at an imaginary wrist-watch. Missile and Dylan groaned, throwing away their empty cans. The two little kids shuffled downstairs.

"I'll make sure they get to bed alright." Ghoul stood up, quickly following the sleepy children downstairs.

"I'm gonna clean the car." Kobra was next to leave.

"I-" Jet thought of a reason to leave.

"I need to do some gardening. I heard toxic wastelands are the best place to start a succulent garden." Jet hastily walked outside, leaving just me and Party alone at the booth.

"Damn, they caught on fast." I commented.

"So, you don't like Psycho anymore, right?" Party questioned me.

'Sort of.'

"No, I don't." I gave Party a reassuring smile. He seemed to understand, and put his hand on top of mine.

"Good. I don't trust that guy anyways."

"I mean, I've known him since I was twelve. He may be a bit odd, but I still trust him." I explained. Party nodded.

"Right. Makes sense."

"Why? Are you jealous?" I stuck out my tongue.

"Oh please, why would I be jealous of that grease bag?" Party scoffed. I stood up, and slid my body into the same booth as him. I let my head fall lightly onto his shoulder.

"I still can't believe it." I almost whispered.

"Believe what?" Party asked me, resting his hand on my leg.

"That the only reason I'm out here is because of BLI. The industry we're fighting to destroy has not only let me find my old friends, but new ones, too. They let me find you."

"That's how the Killjoys work. By working together to bring down BLI, BLI is the thing that brings us together." He explained.

"Would it be weird to thank BLI right now?" I shuffled myself closer to his chest. Party brought his arms around my shoulders, making me feel safe.

"I mean yeah, but I'm doing the same thing."