20. A Local Inspiration

"There's room at the top they are telling you still,
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill,
If you want to be like the folks on the hill,
A working class hero is something to be."

::Working Class Hero- John Lennon::

****************************************************

When morning came, I found myself asleep on the diner floor. Ghoul's legs were sprawled over my stomach, and I had a major headache. Turning my head to the left, I saw Party's sleeping head, looking peaceful.

"I think I love you."

I remembered what had happened the night before, and mentally face-palmed myself.

'Idiot!' I scolded.

I was supposed to go with Ghoul into the city that day, and it was about time we got going.

"Freia? Why are you on the ground?"

Dylan and Missile were standing over my head, looking down at me.

"Not sure." I sat up, rubbing the back of my head. Ghoul was the next to wake up.

"I feel like ass." He groaned, causing Dylan to giggle. Jet and Kobra were sprawled out on the diner booths, still passed out.

"Party. Wake up you lazy bastard." Ghoul prodded at his still sleeping friend, who mumbled something that I couldn't make out.

"Kids, make as much noise as possible." Ghoul instructed the two children, who immediately began to scream and stomp around.

"Jesuschristwe'reunderattack!" Kobra shot up, flailing his hands. Realizing that there was no danger, he lowered his arms and lay back down. Party let out another groan, but I saw him open one of his eyes.

"Why're they so noisy?" He yawned. Then he looked at me. His face was red, and immediately turned away. He cleared his throat, and jumped onto his feet.

"Ghoul, take Atomic into the city. Remember to get that motor bike." Party had his back to me.

'What's his deal?'

"Alright, we'll head out right away." Ghoul stretched his arms. I walked over to a shelf, to grab a can of Power Pup. I never really did get used to that taste. When I had finished, Ghoul and I headed out to the Trans AM.

---

"I know what happened last night." Ghoul's announcement startled me. I groaned in defeat, putting my head in my hands.

"I don't know what I was thinking." I admitted, embarrassed with myself.

"You know, he does really like you."

I lifted my face.

"He only did that because he was drunk." I told him.

"Nope. He did that because he does love you." Ghoul argued.

"I shouldn't love him." I sighed, staring out of the window.

"But you do, and that's not gonna go away. He's embarrassed and confused, and I think you are too."

He was right, I knew that. I did care for Party. I just didn't know the right way to do it.

"Once we get back, you have to talk to him. I don't want there to be any tension." Ghoul advised me. I nodded, making a mental note to have a talk with Party.

---

Battery City was the same as when I had left it. Ghoul and I had parked the car outside of the city limits, and snuck into the slums of the city.

"So what exactly are we doing here?" I asked, following closely behind the Killjoy.

"Well, we have to make money some how. We're bringing in an order of food and fabrics to Electra." Ghoul told me.

"Oh, how lovely." I grimaced at the thought of seeing Electra again. We continued to walk through the streets, hiding from the occasional Scarecrow. This part of the city was taken up by the poor citizens of Bat City who wanted things to change. They helped the Killjoys import resources and gave out information. I had only been to the slums a few times, and most of those times were because I was lost. Ghoul lead me to a crummy looking building with no sign to tell us what it was for. He pushed open the grimy glass door, and walked into an empty room.

"Leo? It's Fun Ghoul, I'm here to pick up that order." Ghoul called, pacing around the empty room. A set of footsteps scurried up a flight of stairs from the basement. A tall, lanky man with messy blond hair and inventors goggles on his eyes ran up to meet us. He wore a brown leather apron with a dirty white shirt underneath.

"Ah, Ghoul. I've been waiting all day for you to come!" Leo shook Ghoul's hand with lots of enthusiasm.

"You must be Atomic. Nice to meet you." He moved onto my hand, practically ripping it out of my socket.

"You've become quite popular with the people around here." Leo smiled.

'Me? Popular?'

"How's that?" I tilted my head. Leo let out a high-pitch chuckle.

"You're the city girl who ran off to join the Killjoys! No one here is able to do what you did. You're like an inspiration.

'How in God's name am I an inspiration?'

I didn't really know how to respond to Leo's information, so I just gave him a pitiful smile.

"Anyways, I have your order downstairs, follow me." Leo hurried back down to his hide-out.

"What a nice guy." I commented to Ghoul as we walked down into the basement.

"Yeah, he's a bit out there. Good kid though."

Leo's basement was a the perfect disaster. It was my idea of heaven. Scattered on top of long, wooden tables were piles of wires, gears and other things that would be perfect to create anything with. Leo brought out two big sacks; One filled with fabric and the other with a various assortment of canned foods. He tossed me the sack of food, causing me to recoil due to its weight.

"Want me to take it?" Ghoul offered. I shook my head, throwing the sack over my shoulder.

"Thanks a bunch, Leo." Ghoul gave the inventor a one armed hug.

We made our way back out into the streets of the city, the food bag only slightly slowing me down.

"What are we gonna do about that bike?" I asked, trying to keep the same pace as Ghoul.

"There's sure to be a Drac on patrol outside the city limits. We'll get it from them." He told me.

"We're going to kill it?"

"Um, duh." Ghoul snickered.

"I don't like killing all that much." I sighed.

"None of us do, but it's us or them." Ghoul shrugged.

---

The plan worked, and I earned myself a stolen motor bike.

"You take the car back. I'll drive the bike." Ghoul instructed after loading the bags into the car. I examined my new motorcycle. It was shiny and white, perfect for any BL/ind employee.

"We'll paint it when we get back home." Ghoul reassured me.

"Good. I don't want anything to do with that stupid company anymore."

I hopped into the drivers seat of the Trans AM, and let Ghoul take the lead to Electra's shop.

I remembered my promise to talk to Party.

Not going to lie, I was scared.