39. Dusted Out

"Leaving so soon?" Korse's voice spoke coldly from behind us.

That triggered the gunfight.

We spun around, shooting madly. I was met by the faces of fifty Dracs and Scarecrows.

"Shit!" I hissed, firing my loaded gun. Sparks flew through the lobby, causing Dylan to let go of my hand to cover his ears.

"Stay down!" I ordered him, gritting my teeth. Party killed a Drac that almost blew Kobra's brains out. I was trying to think of a way out of this, but we were terribly outnumbered. I turned quickly on my heels, slaughtering at least three Dracs at the same time. One of them tried to tackle me, so I grabbed the fake black hair of it's mask and ripped it off of the Drac's head. A buff blond boy with bad acne stumbled away from me.

"Peter?" I gasped, stepping away from the man. One of my friends from Detroit somehow wound up here, of all places.
Before I could say anything else, Ghoul fired a shot into his head.

Peter slumped over onto the ground, utterly dead.

I let out a cry of shock and distress, dropping the mask. I turned to face Party, who had the same feeling in his face that I had. We made eye contact for a few blissful seconds, and in those seconds, I believed that we were going to be alright.

Until Korse pushed the red-head into the wall.

I screamed, shooting at the wall. Jet pulled me away, yanking me out of the way of an oncoming ray of green. Time seemed to freeze when I saw Korse raise his gun to Party's chin.

"DON'T YOU DARE!" I screeched, running towards him.

But nobody could hear me.

I watched as Party narrowed his eyes at the soldier.

I watched as he spat in his angry face.

I watched as Korse pulled the trigger.

Party's body slumped to the floor, blood staining his neck.

"NO!" I screamed, sprinting over.

But Party was dead. Completely and utterly lifeless. I couldn't even touch him, because Kobra was quick to jump in front of me. He fell into my chest, a fresh bullet wound in his stomach.

"Run." He choked. I covered my mouth, a massive sob escaping my throat. Kobra fell to the ground, just as lifeless as his brother.

"We have to go." Ghoul grabbed my hand, leading me away from the disaster. Jet was holding onto Missile and Dylan, running towards the door.

"We need to save them!" I screeched. Ghoul shook his head.

"They're dead, Freia. I'm sorry, but we need to get you out alive."

The raven haired man hurried me out towards the door, pushing me out into the pouring rain.

"Get to the car!" I yelled.

But Ghoul didn't respond.

I turned around. My friend had shut the glass doors of the building, locking himself inside.

"GHOUL!" I pounded my fist against the door. He pressed his palm calmly against the glass, his eyes twinkling with life and hope.

"GHOUL, OPEN THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW!" I ordered.

"Atomic! Come on!" Jet called to me. Dr. Death's black van was pulled up outside. I turned to him, then turned back to Ghoul. I let out one last scream as I saw a bullet flash into his chest. Ghoul's back slumped against the wall like a rag doll. The Drac's were about to break the door open. I ran towards Jet, utterly terrified.