chapter 13 ↝ bite me

WE NEED TO REALIZE THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE MADE OF SKIN. OTHERS ARE MADE OF PLASTIC.

"What are we going to do about Maddie?" Gaten asked.

"I don't know," Millie sighed. "Her body is gone. I can't exactly find it, if you haven't noticed."

They were still at Finn's house, discussing everything and anything.

"I don't either," Gaten retorted.

"Be mad at me, but whoever the hell M is, she's still out there. Maddie wasn't M."

"You killed her," Finn exclaimed.

"Yes, Finn," Millie annoyedly said. "We've established that. I've killed someone in self-defense."

"Wasn't self-defense," Sadie drawled. She straightened, running her fingers through her hair. The sun shone in from an open window. Her hair glimmered under the light, melting ginger into a warm caramel colour.

There were two couches and an arm chair. A fireplace was at one wall. One couch was in front of the fireplace, and the other was pushed to the wall, on the right of the fireplace. The window was on the right of the fireplace. The blinds were pushed up, letting the sun in.

Millie, Sadie, and Caleb sat on the couch with the window behind it. Noah, Finn, and Gaten were seated on the opposite couch.

"Where were you anyways?" Caleb asked, leaning back.

"All over the West coast," Millie replied. "Los Angeles to Seattle, Santa Cruz and Santa Monica. Mostly California."

"You were all the way across the country?"

"I swear to God, I wasn't tanning or whatever you think I was doing. I was in hiding. I almost picked another country. I almost agreed to jumping a flight to Heathrow back to-" Millie angrily explained. Her phone rang, and she checked it. Millie's face slowly paled as her eyes read the message over and over again. Gaten snatched her phone and read the message as well. Millie was in so much shock that she didn't even protest it, and if someone took her phone, she would be angry. She didn't like it when others took her phone.

Finn surmised that she had secrets on it. She was already secretive enough. She could hide in a room with other living people inside its walls. It was like she was trained to keep and hide secrets.

Millie grabbed her phone back, glaring at Gaten. She read the text in a somber tone. "Better luck next time, Queen Bee, round one over. xoxo -M."

"M? Well, Maddie was dead. You checked. You knew it," Noah whispered.

"I thought she was, but evidently, she isn't. Or Maddie really wasn't M. Maybe we've been going at this wrong," Millie thoughtfully said. "Maybe Maddie wasn't M."

"No, Maddie said something. What did she say?"

"M is bigger than just me. I'm one of many who chose to work against Millie. You don't know the full complete story. You're all sheltered little pets who chose to blindly follow Millie into any stupid drama she starts."

"I'm one of many who chose to work against Millie," Gaten suddenly said. "She said that she was one of many who chose to work against Millie."