chapter 16 ↝ run away lost girl

PRETTY LIES WON'T HIDE THIS MONSTROUS THING INSIDE OF YOU.

Sadie sighed and entered the auditorium, sitting next to the group. Romeo and Grace also sat next to her. Romeo clasped Sadie's hand and smirked at her. Sadie blushed and leaned onto him. Caleb eyed the pair, biting his lip in distaste.

It was Friday, and the school was holding a "Remembering Millie" assembly.

"When did Sadie get some?" Noah gossiped, knowing it would get on their nerves.

"If you'd really like to know, yesterday, hunty," Sadie smiled and winked at Noah.

"Good job, sweaty," Noah winked in response. "Finally screwing someone other than Chocolate!" Caleb whacked Noah on the head.

"The only guy you'd get is the janitor."

"That didn't even make sense," Noah laughed. Sadie nodded, never releasing Romeo's hand. Caleb tensed and clenched his jaw. His hands slid down his pant legs and clasped together at the knees.

"Yeah, I can't roast," Sadie agreed. "How is she?"

"Fine. She wanted to go to school today, but I said 'no,'" Finn answered slowly.

"Who's she?" Romeo interjected. Ever since he had come, Grace and him had slowly melded into the group. They weren't unwelcome, but they weren't as trusted as the others did.

"Um, Finn got a dog named-" Sadie started to speak.

"Rose."

"Yeah, Rose is my dog," Finn reworded, nodding his head and awkwardly smiling.

"So what's this assembly for?" Grace asked.

"It's for Millie," Noah replied.

"I see," Grace slowly said. Her fingers toyed with her hair. She grabbed one piece and twirled it around her finger, and she pulled gently and steadily until it came loose in a soft ringlet.

"We're going to get started, students," Winona said into the microphone. She smiled at the student body. "Good morning. I'm Ms. Winona Ryder, the counselor, in case you don't know you. Now, I'm sure we're all glad to be skipping first period." This warranted some laughing.

"She got that much right," Romeo whispered to Sadie who choked. He laughed once and rubbed her back, easing her coughing fit. Caleb's eyes trailed Romeo's wandering fingers.

"This assembly should be about half an hour, so it won't take up too much of your class-time. Today is a remembrance day for my daughter, Millie. Yes, this is very personal for me, but it's important to shed light on these kinds of things, cyber-safety and safety in general."

"Cyber-safety?" Finn whispered to Gaten. Gaten shrugged helplessly.

"However, before we get into all that, I'd like to call up Romeo Beckham to speak for the student council and announcements."

Winona sat back down in the audience. The stage was empty. Romeo released Sadie's hand and jogged up the stage to the microphone. He smiled and adjusted it quickly.

"Hi, I'm Romeo Beckham. Basically, the student body has a meeting at-" He was rudely interrupted by the blaring of loud rock music. "I'm sorry, what's going-"