chapter 30 ↝ unMasked

BUT ARE YOU STRONG ENOUGH TO CARRY YOUR SECRETS?

"Finn... Finn, please," her lips moved, but the words didn't reach through to him. He was so angry. He was boiling, a bubbling pot of anger, ready to explode. She backed away, tears in her eyes. She had always been so weak. "Finn, please, I love you—"

"Don't you dare use love as an excuse," Finn snapped. "You don't deserve it."

"Finn—" Sadie tried to step in, but it was no use. Gaten held her as Finn and Millie continued arguing. Caleb nervously watched them.

"Finn, I love you, please, I meant what I said earlier—"

"Like hell you did."

"I'm serious," her voice changed from pleading to anger, her words matching his in temper. "How can you not believe me? After everything we've been through!"

"Exactly! I have to set the balance straight," Finn yelled back. He paced, the gun gleaming in his left hand.

"Finn, don't shoot me."

"Millie, I hate you."

"And Finn, I love you, but I'm—" Millie bit her lip, eyes nervously following the gun.

"Oh, don't try to get out of this."

"Of course you think I'm doing that," she dryly replied.

"I hate you so much. I should just kill you and end this all," Finn sighed. If he did this, it would all stop.

Millie's next words stopped him in his tracks. "But don't you want to know who M is?" Millie smirked. She knew she had him cornered. Curiosity took the place of anger.

"You know who M is?" Finn whispered.

"I've figured it out." Millie leaned in and spoke in her softest voice. "Do you want to know?"

"Tell me, or I'm shooting you."

"Finn!" Sadie exclaimed. She rushed forward, but Caleb caught her at the last moment. Sadie shrugged him off, turning away from him.

"Tell us, Millie," Gaten bravely said. "Tell us."

"Oh, my friends," Millie sighed dreamily. Clasping her hands around Finn's neck, she pressed a kiss to his cheek. He didn't recoil or move away. He was too enthralled by her. Millie muzzled her face into his neck, knowing full well her next words would ruin them all, especially Finn. "M is—"

— 30 HOURS EARLIER / SATURDAY 2 PM —

"I'm sorry, Caleb, but I pick Romeo," she whispered. "I'm so sor—" She was rudely interrupted as his hand made contact with her cheek. Sadie gasped as her lips opened in shock. He stood there, menacingly.

"You— after everything we had been through, you picked him?" Caleb burst.

"I thought you would have understood," Sadie cried out, cradling her red cheek. "You know me, you know my family— they—"

"No one cares. You think I care? I don't."

"Caleb—" Sadie's heart began to break. She took a tiny step away from him.