chapter 21 ↝ white roses and glitter hearts

IT'S YOU. IT'S BEEN TRUE UP TO NOW, AND I KNOW FOR SURE, WITH EVERYTHING IN MY HEART, THAT IT WILL ALWAYS BE YOU.

Natalia looked at herself in the mirror and pursed her lips. "Is this too much?"

"You look beautiful as always," Charlie reminded her. She turned to meet his lazy smile, returning it with an small upturn of her own lips.

"You're too nice to me."

"I was taught to be nice to pretty ladies."

"You don't have to keep flirting with me, I already agreed to be your girlfriend," Natalia giggled. Charlie walked over to her and looped his arms over her shoulders.

"We make quite a pair," he remarked. Natalia sighed and ran her hands over the front of her pink patterned dress.

"We should go," she whispered and broke the trance. One look at his glazed eyes, and she knew what he was imagining. Charlie was seeing their future.

"Right you are," Charlie said, glancing at the clock. It was 1:56, and the wedding started at 2:30.

They left the hotel and started the drive to the beach. Natalia and Charlie had flown from Lavender Ridge to Los Angeles. His cousin, Louise, wanted a beach wedding, and so she was getting one.

It was a crisp January day. Cool and fresh, the air made their lungs ache at the purity of it.

They arrived at 2:23. Elegantly twisted pieces of fabric lined the fence that surrounded the worn trail leading to the gazebo and beach. Every few feet, an arrangement of white roses was nailed to the wooden fence. Despite being about a half mile walk to the gazebo, it was a welcome surprise for Natalia.

"I'm happy for her," she suddenly said.

"Me too. Louise has always been picky about boyfriends. She really loves him."

"What's his name again?"

"You don't know?" Charlie raised his eyebrow, momentarily stopping. Natalia blushed red.

"I— I just don't remember."

"Max."

"Max, of course," Natalia groaned. She pulled Charlie's hand, and they continued walking. By now, they were on the beach. Natalia looked back at the slight hill and parking lot. The couple had picked a beautiful and picturesque place to get married.

"Your parents names are Patricia and James. Your sister is Levi?" Natalia hesitantly questioned.

"That's right. You'll be fine, don't worry so much. They'll love you."

"I hope so."

"Natty, it'll be fine."

Once they found their seats, it was 2:30. Stragglers still continued to walk in, and they would continue to do so for at least fifteen more minutes.

Louise looked radiant in her dress. It flowed around her like water, cascading gently and smoothly. The dress reached down to her ankles. It had a sweetheart neckline and sheer lacy sleeves. A short veil was pinned onto her head and covered most of her wavy hair.

Natalia fell in love with Louise's dress, as did most of the other guests judging by their expressions.

"Hi, we're going to get started soon," Louise called out. She grinned, excitement blatant on her face.