Chapter 2

"Come on Ardain! Open your eyes!" I hear Captain Kyōraku's voice but can't see him. All I see is darkness.

    I know something has happened, but I can't remember what. "Oh well. I guess it wasn't anything important," I think to myself. I continue to stare into the darkness until I hear another voice.

    "Ardain... Wake up, Ardain..." I know I have heard that voice before, but where? And who? Then it hits me.

     "Amagumo!" I sit upright in a warm, safe bed in the Fourth Division barracks.

    "Whoa! Be calm and lay back down," Shunsui pushes me back down into the bed. "She's awake Captain Unohana," he calls behind him.

     "That's good. That means she is out of danger," Retsu Unohana walks into the room carrying a bowl of Domburi with Onigiri on the side, a glass of water, and a pair of chopsticks. "Eat up and get your strength back," Captain Unohana hands me the bowl and chopsticks after I sit up in bed and get situated.

     "Thank you," I take a bite of Domburi then I look at Shunsui. "What happened after I was hit with the cero?" I take a bite of Onigiri.

     "After you were hit with the cero, Captain Kuchiki showed up with Lieutenant Abarai and told me to go ahead and bring you to Captain Unohana. When I got you here, you were in pretty bad shape. We didn't think you were going to make it. I'm sorry Ardain. I should have told you to go get help as soon as I saw the Menos, but I got to ahead of myself and forgot that you were not yet strong enough to help me defeat it," Shunsui looks down at the floor.

     "I wouldn't have left you to face that thing by yourself even if you ordered me to. I couldn't have left you..." I take another mouthful of Onigiri then drink deeply from the glass of water. Shunsui smiles.

     "I should have known you were going to say that. Your a very courageous girl," Shunsui pats my head as he turns to Captain Unohana. "Take good care of her for me."

      "Don't worry. I will," Captain Unohana smiles.

      "I have to get back to Nanao before she panics and comes looking for me," Shunsui pats my head one last time and then waves as he walks out the door.

      I stretch. "When can I get out of bed, Captain?"

     "Wait one more day so we can make sure you're all right," Captain Unohana smiles at me. "By the way you have some visitors." Captain Unohana takes my empty plate and leaves the room. A few minutes later, Captain Byakuya Kuchiki and Lieutenant Renji Abarai come through the door.

      "How are you feeling?" Renji plops down in the chair next to the bed.

      "Actually I'm ready to get up and start moving," I assure them.

      Byakuya looks at me with doubt on his face. "I don't think your as healed as you think you are after the hit you took from that cero."

     "Seriously, guys! I'm fine," I drain the rest of my water.

    "You were asleep for a week. We were surprised you even made it here. You were so far gone we didn't think you were going to live," Renji explains.

     "I was out of it for a week?" I look at the empty glass in my hand.

    "We didn't mean to upset you. We just want you to take it easy for a little while," Captain Kuchiki looks out the window on the wall beside the bed.

     "Ok. I guess I can do that," I sit the glass down on the table beside me.

     "Good. Now we will see you later. Come on Lieutenant Abarai," Captain Kuchiki leaves the room.

     "See ya Ardain," Renji waves as he follows his Captain out the door.

     "I really wish people would quit treating me like that. Ever since I escaped from Wako Mundo and the Arrancars they've treated me like I could break at any given second," I mutter to myself as I lay down and watch the sky outside the window. After a while I fall asleep.