Chapter 5

I stand watching the spot where the Arrancar disappeared until Head Captain Yamamoto and Captain Jūshirō Ukitake appear in front of me. I wipe at my eyes and my hand comes back soaked in tears. I hadn't realized I had been crying.

      "Ardain," Ukitake's soothing voice calms me. "What happened? Who did that spiritual pressure belong to?"

      "It was the Exequias," I whisper, looking at Ukitake. "They took Shunsui."

      "What?" Ukitake looks stunned.

      "T-They took him to Wako Mundo," I sob. I fall to my knees and put my head in my hands.

      "Ardain Matsudo! Stand up and explain what has happened here!" Yamamoto bellows with authority. I wipe my eyes and nose on my kimono sleeve and stand back up. My legs wobble and I begin to fall, but Ukitake catches me and I lean on him for support. I turn my gaze on Yamamoto.

      "This morning, when I awoke in the Squad Four barracks, Captain Kyōraku ordered me to take a few days off. After I left, I went to the bath house in the Rukon District. While I was getting dressed, I realized I left my zanpakuto back in the Squad Four barracks," I stop and take a deep breath.

      "Get to the point Ms. Matsudo," Yamamoto orders.

      "When I left, I noticed a sudden spike in spiritual pressure coming from the Seireitei. I also noticed I knew whose spiritual pressure it was. I didn't think about whether I had my zanpakuto or not, I just ran for the Seireitei. When I got to the gate...." I stop to wipe my eyes and nose again. "When I got to the gate, i saw Rudbornn Chelute with Captain Kyōraku thrown over his shoulder. I tried to stop him, but the other Exequias got in my way. He told me I had to find out about my past life," I blink back more tears.

      Suddenly, a Hell Butterfly appears by Yamamoto's shoulder. "I'm calling an emergency Captain's meeting! All Captain's assemble immediately!" Yamamoto bellows. Then he turns to me. "You come too, Ms. Matsudo. You need to tell everyone what happened to Shunsui." I nod and let Ukitake guide me to the Captain's meeting.