chapter 3

I awake early the next morning with the sun shining in my face and sweat glistening on my forehead. I have just woken up from a nightmare about when I was trapped in Wako Mundo.

      I glance beside me and look into Shunsui's face. He is leaning on the chair arm asleep. He has dark lines under his eyes. I heard him come in last night just before I fell asleep. I stretch and slide out of bed. I try not to awake the sleeping man in the chair beside me, but fail miserably.

        "I see your feeling better," Shunsui says as he sits up and rubs the sleep from his eyes.

      "Well you look like crap. No offense," I look down at myself then look at Shunsui again. "And I probably do too."

       "Well I know I feel like crap. I bet Nanao will be pissed when she see's me like this," Shunsui looks out the window at the sunrise.

       "You know what? I could use a bath. I wonder if Captain Unohana will let me go yet," I tell him and start to go out the door to find the Captain. Suddenly, Hanatarō Yamada bumps into me coming in. I fall and Hanatarō lands on top of me.

      "I'm so sorry Ms. Matsudo!" Hanatarō apologizes to me as he quicky climbs off of me and helps me to stand back up.

      "Be careful there, Mr. Yamada. You'll break her again," Shunsui says as he pats Hanatarō on the back. I brush myself off and look at Shunsui.

     "I'm tougher than that, Captain." I then turn to Hanatarō. "It's quite all right Hanatarō. It was my fault. I should have been watching where I was going," I assure him. "So, what are you doing in here, Hanatarō?"

    "Captain Unohaha asked me to come in here and tell you that you can leave now," Hanatarō answers.

       "Oh! Thank you Hanatarō! I was just going to ask her when i could leave," I smile.

       "Your welcome, Ms. Matsudo. Now I must be goi-," Hanatarō's sentence is cut off.

       "Hanotara! Come finish cleaning our bathrooms!" a man yells. Hanatarō cringes.

       "Hanatarō. Is that a Squad Eleven member?" I ask him, my eyes narrowed.

      "Y-yes ma'am, but don't worry about it. We always get yelled at like that by them," Hanatarō's smile looks forced.

       "Not today you don't," I growl as I march out the door towards where the voice is coming from.

      "I have got to see this," Shunsui tells Hanatarō as he follows me. I find the man standing at the door. "We had better stay back here, Hanatarō," Shunsui grabs Hanatarō's sleeve and pulls him back into the shadow of the hallway.

       "Who in the hell do you think your yelling at?!" I get in the man's face.

      The man's face flashes surprise and then anger. "Who do you think your yelling at?! And where's Hanatarō?!"

       My temper rises and I loose it. I punch the guy in the face then take a defensive stance.

      "Who the hell do you think you are, bitch?" the man raises his fist to hit me, but a big hand catches his.

       "Fighting an injured lady isn't very nice. Why don't you fight me instead?" Kenpachi Zaraki grins.

       "C-Captain! Sir! U-ummm I-" the man faints.

       "Well, he wasn't any fun, was he Kenny?" Yachiru's voice comes from Kenpachi's shoulder.

       "Hello Captain Zaraki and Lieutenant Kusajishi," I smile at them.

      "We were just coming to see you to see how long it would be before you could fight Kenny again, Emerald!" Yachiru tells me.

       'Yachiru has a thing about making nicknames up for people because she can't remember anyone's real name,' Ikkaku had once told me. Emerald was Yachiru's nickname for me because my eyes are the color of emeralds.

      "It might be a little longer Lieutenant. I'm still stiff as a bored and I need to get back in shape. I've been out of commission for eight days," I tell her. " But, I'm really looking forward to fighting him again! It will be a really great way to train." I wasn't lying. I am actually the only person I know of that likes fighting Kenpachi. I don't know why but maybe it is because he doesn't go easy on me like everyone else does.

       "Darn!" Yachiru whines.

       "But at least your willing to fight me," Kenpachi grins. "By the way, why are Shunsui and that little guy from Squad Four hiding over there?"

      "We didn't want to get in the way of the little fight Ardain was just in," Shunsui answers, stepping out of the shadows with Hanatarō hiding behind him. "Anyway, I probably need to get going before Nanao comes looking for me." Shunsui turns to me. "I'll inform her that your to take a few days off," he tells me.

       "But!" I start, but Shunsui interrupts me.

      "Oh no you don't. No buts! Besides, it will give you a few days to train," he starts walking out the door.

      "I guess we will be going, too," Kenpachi moves out of the doorway so Shunsui can get through. "But get better soon, would you Ardain? I'm really itching for a fight." Kenpachi turns around and walks out the door.

       "Bye Emerald!" I hear Yachiru yell.

      "Well I might as well leave too. And you probably need to get back to work," I tell Hanatarō. "But don't let those Squad Eleven members push you around! If you have anymore problems with them don't hesitate to ask for help."

       "Don't worry, Ms. Matsudo. I'll be fine," Hanatarō promises me as I walk out the door.