6.Mind over matter

I stared at the tomb with an incredulous look on my face, as the pain in my body increased. I turned to Anna, who grimaced.

"I know it doesn't look good, but it's the safest place for you right now." She pleaded, knowing that there was a chance I'd just walk away into the parade of werewolves. I could hear them from a few streets over, hundreds of not thousands gathered for the shifting ceremony. I could feel it, like a deep tug at the base of my skull, like tendrils of heat connecting my mind to those in the streets of New Orleans. It was a thrum, a resonating throb, trying to force me to join the packs, to find my place among my people. But they weren't the only kind I was connected to. I felt the magic around me in the cemetery, weighing me down like a thick blanket.

The last few hours had been a flurry of chanting witches, cloaking spells and colorful potions, cheering werewolves from the streets, annoyed vampires. The air smelt of rich food and fur, blood and death. It was almost comforting. I twisted to glare at Anna.

We were standing in front of her ancestors mausoleum in the Saint Louis Cemetery, with the intention of staying inside. The whole during of the shifting ceremony. Because apparently 'Its the safest place for me'.

As soon as Anna and Valerie told me that Orion was coming tonight with my sister by his side, they had demanded that I stay with their relative's. They'd just forgotten to mention the fact that said family members were dead.

It was a descendant of the Salem witch Tituba apparently. When I'd first met Anna, she'd explained her origins to me. It was pretty exciting, but having to stay in the same mausoleum with one, was not.

The rest of Valerie's coven stood behind us, chatting in low murmurs. All of them had agreed with Anna on the subject that Orion was after me, and that staying here was the best idea. The prophecy was whispered among them all, causing me to glare. Their eyes all shone magenta.

I wasn't exactly ready to except the fact that there was an ancient prophecy about me, so I'd pushed it to the back of my mind, sitting right next to my self hatred for leaving my mom. I'd confront them later.

Valerie raised her hand, purple eyed, the marble door succumbing to her magic. It grinded along the floor, making me cringe and physically turn into my self.

Anna turned to me with a grin, noticing my discomfort, before throwing her arms in the air to display the dark space.

"Welcome to your new home for the night."

¤¤¤

I was becoming restless. It turned out that Anna's dead relative had been buried under the mausoleum, not in it, so her family could create a sanctuary. The room itself was filled with ailments and plants, and a shelf full of dusty grimoire's. A marble bench ran along the far wall, covered in different utensils. A mortar and pestle, a rolling pin, and a cheese greater, along with ingredients and such.

I sat in the corner in a surprisingly comfy chair while Anna stood at the bench, making something. Valerie had stayed outside with the rest of her coven sisters to stand watch.

The marble structure itself was protected by the dead witch under it, so apparently no one could get in unless it was by invite by the covenant.

Anna turned and handed me a little bottle, telling me to drink it. I eyed the blue substance with distrust.

"It will...keep your mind at bay, if that makes sense. You won't have the urge to go join the wolves on the hill." She handed me one of my bottles as I downed the disgusting liquid, then took a mouthful of my own drink. It was my second last bottle.

"I'll get you some more tomorrow." Anna said, referring to the metal decanter in my hand.

It had been just over an hour, and all the werewolves were starting to completely fill the streets. There was no sign of Orion or Ester. Yet.

I groaned and slouched in the chair, boredom setting in.

¤¤¤

I abruptly woke to the door being roughly opened. A frantic Valerie raced in.

"Orion's here! You have to leave, now! He has help from hunter's and other supernatural's. It isn't safe anymore." She dragged Anna and I outside, where only 3 sister's remained. Distant shouts and screams could be heard, causing my heart to speed up.

"Go to the ceremony. Join the parade, the werewolves and Lycans will protect you! Go now! He's getting closer!." Valerie shoved me into Anna and we both took off at a run.

My heart pounded as we dodged the mausoleum's and big head stones, the sound of fighting and wailing behind us. Anna's heart sped up all of a sudden, and her running faulted, before she collapsed to her knees and screamed, clutching at her chest. Sobs racked her body and tears ran down her face, but before I could do anything, quiet footsteps came from around the corner.

My heart hammered against my rib cage with fright and adrenaline, a second before a blue eyed night walker stepped into my line of view. My claws ripped through my flesh, my canines descended and my eyes changed color, one bright red, the other, liquid gold. Right as I prepared to attack, he launched through the air and sailed into one of the mausoleums, dead.

I turned to Anna who stood, tears gone, eyes ablaze, with a determined look on her face, "We have to keep going."

We ran down Conti Street, Anna pulling me along, her small hand gripping my shirt tightly. I twisted her into me as bullets targeted us from behind. We skidded and started at the street connected to Louis Armstrong Park, where the ceremony ended and the werewolves turned. A group of Orion's men stood in our way, weapons raised. We ducked as they shot and charged, continuing along Conti. Anna waved her hand behind us, sending a few of the closer people crashing into each other. We ignored dome side street, choosing instead to veer straight onto Bourbon Street. We banged into supernaturals and humans, heading up into where the parade actually assembled. St Ann street.

We merged into the flow of werewolves, vampires and witches. I clutched at Anna's hand so I didn't lose her in the throng. We let the crowd take us, as Anna shook beside me. More of her sisters were being laid to rest. All because of me.

We were squished in front of an Alpha Lycan and a lower werewolf when I felt the familiar sensation of being stared at. I whirled in the confined space, not seeing any of Orion's men. Right as I was about to give up I turned to my left, and stopped completely. On the sidelines of the parade, among the cheering werewolves and the curious human's, stood a lone vampire. Eyes as green as synthetic grass, but as bright as a spotlight, watched me. Long black hair, thin frame, pretty face. My sister.

"Oh my god." I whispered, unable to look away as my stomach dropped in revolted shock. Her mouth twisted into a sadistic smile at my quiet words. Anna stood beside me, repeatedly yelling "what?!". I didn't even reply, just gripped her hand and yanked her forward. We pushed through the pack, muttering apologies as we forced our way past. Anna was leading us now, her petite frame easily pushing through people.

Suddenly, someone yanked on my arm, sending my heart into a flurry, pleasure coursing though my blood, my eyes flashing. Before I could see who it was, the crowd closed around my arm, and I pulled it against me before it was crushed. I shook off the weird feeling, already distracted from my sister.

A minute later, I realized we were in the park, up on the hill, where the shifting took place. It was a big open space atop a hill, a clearing surrounded by trees. I quickly informed Anna about what happened. The poor girl looked like she wanted to cry while simultaneously puking.

I failed to notice the silent crowd, until Anna went rigid, her eyes as wide as saucers at something behind me. My heart dropped into my stomach, and I slowly turned around.