17.Train hard and complain harder

I was woken early the next day, my phone reading 8:43. I growled and rolled out of the comfy bed, stomping to the door.

The gapped smile of Thomas grinned up at me, his hands tucked behind his back in the formal stance, his little blue uniform crinkled slightly.

"Good Morning Thomas, what can I do for you today?" I asked, leaning against the door frame tiredly.

"The King has requested your presence outside, he said to dress in sports wear. If you don't have any I can get some sent up?" I sighed, scrunching my face up in frustration.

"I think I have some, thank you Thomas." He nodded and scurried back down the hallway. I closed the door behind him, hitting my head on the wood.

I yawned and turned to the armour, rummaging through my bag and pulling out a shirt and leggings. I got dressed, my feet clad in sneakers as I tossed my hair up in a high ponytail.

I stalked out of my room, taking one last glance at my bed. I threw my head back and groaned again, wanting to stomp my feet like a child. Instead, I meandered down the twisting halls and out to the gardens. I followed the sound of low murmurs, pushing aside branches and foliage as I tumbled out the back of the estate.

A green runway divided the estate and a forest, a private plane perched at the end.

Alexeron and Mathias stood next to Finian and part of his remaining pack, talking tersely. The Alpha had his arms crossed over his chest, his eyebrows low as he regarded the man my best friend was crushing on. I thought back to the night before, my skin flushing as I picked at the skin beside my thumb with my ring finger nail in nervousness.

The group turned toward me as I approached, my mate's gaze heating my skin as he looked me up and down. He scratched the back of his head awkwardly as he tilted his head down, his feet shuffling away. His beta looked between us, a knowing smirk on his lips.

"Why did you wake me at this ungodly hour?" I directed my question to the King, more so to avoid the growing tension.

"You need to train if you're ever going to stand a chance against Orion and his groupies. A war is mounting, and Orion is going to be coming for you." The dark skin of Alexeron glistened in the light as he spoke, his voice deep. I raised my eyebrows, urging him to continue.

"Celeste is working with some scholars and the rest of our royal congregation on the prophecy. And if you're our only hope of survival, then it's our job to make sure your in pique physical shape." I tongued my cheek, trying to decide if that was an insult or not.

"Okay, so what exactly are we doing today?"

¤¤¤

The first task was simple. The average werewolf could hear a click of the fingers from nearly 2 miles away, with enough focus. Finian had one of his men posted every quarter mile after 2, up until 5 miles. One by one they would click, and the alpha would telepathically tell his pack to keep going. The King held a chart and a pen, and would tick for every quarter I could hear.

I sat on the ground, the grass tickling my ankles. It took a few minutes for the men to find there places, giving me enough time to meditate. Finian stood a few feet away, having him too close would just distract me.

Mathias approached me, a black piece of silk in his hand. I frowned and opened my mouth to argue as he covered my eyes, tying the cloth just bellow my ponytail.

"It'll be easier to focus." He whispered, and I wondered for a second if he was deliberately trying to piss my mate off. I flinched as I felt something pinch my nose, a bit of plastic blocking my sense of smell.