26.Creep

"Hurry up Regina!."Maddy was in front of me as we ran down the corridor, nearly twenty minutes after the ball had started. It was easy for her, her dress was a slip of satin. I had layers of fabric to drag around. Though she had on platform heels that brought her up-to my height if it weren't for the strappy ones I wore.

We rounded the corner to the staircase, my eyes on my feet as I hiked up my dress. Maddy made a startled noise as she froze, nearly causing me to run into her. I glared at the back of her head, her red hair straightened, and stepped around her, seeing what had made her stop.

Finian stood at the base of the stairs, one hand on the balustrade. I was transfixed as I stared, not taking my eyes off of my mate. My heart kicked into overdrive as I struggled to breathe, my eyes swirling their fractured colors as my mate bond flowed.

He was dressed in a black tuxedo, his muscles straining the fabric. He turned, giving me a glimpse of the dark undershirt and tie. The darkness complemented his tanned skin and dark hair, making him even more smouldering and sultry. His hair was gelled and slicked back, his face freshly shaved.

He turned and looked up at me, his eyes flashing gold. Tension grew as we stared, taking in each other as my heart beat wildly in my ears. His mouth opened slightly, his tongue darting out. My legs tensed and squeezed together involuntarily as I gripped the balustrade, the varnish cracking loudly.

Maddy led me down the stairs, her hand on my back to keep me from falling. I never took my gaze off of Finian until we reached the bottom, his arm outstretched. I placed my hand in his, the contact sending an electric shock through my body.

"When you didn't show up I got worried, so I was coming to see where you were." He murmured, taking in my dress up close. I heaved, my chest rising under his scrutiny. We began to walk toward the ball room, Maddy leading the way as my mate and I continued to stare each other, even after our eyes changed back.

When we entered the opulent room, I finally looked away. Hundreds of guests filled the marble floor, each dressed in finery and jewels. An orchestra played a tune at one end of the room, set up on a stage in the corner. Human donors passed from vampire to vampire swayed dangerously as they moved, looking almost like they were dancing. Per usual the vampires outnumbered the other creatures, witch's and werewolves awkwardly mingling in the corners.

A bar had been set up along the wall opposite the door we'd just entered, a male witch brewing up delectable concoctions.

"Would you like a drink?" Finian whispered against my ear, his lips moving against the cartilage. I tensed, my toes curling in my heels. I made a high pitched noise of agreement and watched his smirking form saunter away.

"The tension between you two nearly had me ripping my clothes off." I groaned as Maddy grinned, staring down at me where I'd slumped against the wall. My breathing was erratic, my mouth dry. Everything was too hot, the dress, my face, the damn mate bond, Finian. Everything!.

"Ugh! I just wanna flee back to my room and have my way with him. How can someone be that attractive?" Maddy chuckled at my frustration, surveying the room. I finally took proper notice too.

The room was huge, nearly the size of a quarter of the estate, which stood at nearly 4 stories tall. The ballroom bordered different rooms on each floor, the ceilings reaching as high as the last level. Giant crystal chandeliers dotted the ceiling, 16 in total, dimmed to give a more relaxed and romantic setting. To my left sat the orchestra, the wall in front of me held the bar, and to my left was stationed a long table, filled with finger foods and sandwiches. That quarter of the room also contained small tables, high with bar stools. The rest of the space was free, allowing people to linger or dance.