30.Realization

I sighed contently as I slipped into the dress, staring at Anna and Maddy as they chatted excitedly.

After my friendly love admittance my mom and I had spent some time sobbing on the phone together. When we'd finally recovered and said goodbye, I was whisked away to brunch under the pavilion, which was catered by the cafe in town, much to the happiness of Anna who'd flirted briefly with Milo.

Finian and I had fallen back into our comfortableness, albeit with a few heated glances at each other. I'd sat back and just watched my two best friends and my mate interact, laughing and talking with each other as they told stories. It saddened me to be celebrating my birthday without my mom, but the three of them easily cheered me up. It made me roll around what I'd said earlier.

Mate bonds had a tendency of making people fall in love a lot quicker than mundane relationships, so maybe I did love Finian. I'd known him barely two months, but it always felt so right. I couldn't deny that there definitely was feelings there, but how strong they were I couldn't tell.

"I know we still have to get through your party, but I'm so excited for tomorrow night." Maddy announced, glad to finally be able to go out. Anna and I grinned, sharing a look. It was too easy to forget the little red head was two years older than us.

"Let's hope Mathias doesn't get jealous." I cackled, teasing her as we'd done all days. She'd remained tight lipped about her night with him, and I wasn't about to push for the details. She could tell us when she was ready.

The blushing maid yanked me to sit in front of the vanity, tugging at the curlers in my hair. I sipped lightly on a glass of champagne, feeling beyond happy. I noticed the promise ring for the umpteenth time today, smiling contently as my heart beat faster.

¤¤¤

My breath caught in my throat when I spotted Finian in the ball room, dressed in a white dress shirt, the first few buttons undone, and gray slacks. His hair was unruly, curling slightly at his ears. Feeling my stare he sought out my gaze, his eyes widening as he spotted me. I was rushed away by Alexeron, who wished me a happy birthday. He was the first of a very long line of royals and guests to do so, more out of courtesy than anything.

The atmosphere was different than the ball, the lightning a lot lighter, not as sultry. There were fewer tables to allow mingling, seldom orchestra, instead music played from speakers. The room was full of chatter and laughter, everyone content.

"Would you like to dance?" Finian's arms snaked around my waist from behind, lighting my skin on fire. I sighed happily and followed him to the dance floor, a slow song playing. We swayed, pressed together, arms on waists and shoulders.

I rested my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat. It was the first alone time we'd had together all day.

"You know, you acted surprised when I gave you the ring. You thought I was proposing?" I chuckled and nodded, not pulling away from his heart beat. I felt his head dip, and his lips brush against my ear. I shivered.

"Well, in the future, I have every intention of proposing to you." My heart fluttered as did his, before he pushed me away and twirled me under his arm. I turned into him, our chests bumping as I stared up at him.

"Good." I pressed my mouth to his, overwhelmed with emotion. My eyes changed, swirling beneath my eyelids as the kiss deepened, out teeth clashing lightly as we gripped each other. In my excitement my fangs descended, nicking his lip. His blood rolled lightly over my tongue, my senses going into overdrive. I went to retreat, worried I'd hurt him, but he growled lowly and pulled me closer. I was putty in his hands, my toes curling in my heels and my nails digging into his flesh.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday Regina! Happy..." I reluctantly pulled away, twisting to watch as the crowd sang, laughing as a giant cake was wheeled in, ever aware of Finian's hands gripping my waist.

¤¤¤

"So, are you having a good birthday?" Mathias asked as we danced, my feet bare from the torturous heels, swirling together. He'd arrived sometime after the cake, his eyes molten as he watched Maddy. They'd danced for nearly an hour straight, never looking away from each other. I was worried they'd rip each others clothes off in the middle of the dance floor. But Maddy being human had to rest eventually, so the pureblood had sought out the birthday girl.

She sat with Finian and Anna, the three at one of the few tables. I glanced at them every so often, grateful to have them in my life.

"It's the best one I've had so far." Mathias nodded, smiling lightly. It was clear where his attention really was.

"You better not break her heart. I've seen the way you two look at each other." I chastised, trying to be stern. But we ended up laughing instead.

"I would never hurt her intentionally. And we don't look at each other the way you and Finian do. It's like the whole world fades away." I smacked his chest lightly, rolling my eyes.

"Do you love him?" I almost grimaced at the whispered question, remembering the moment hours earlier.

"I don't know. We've only known each other for a few months, but-but everytime I'm with him its like my heart..." I trailed off, staring at the man in question as he looked up at us.
"It swells." I nodded in agreement as he finished my sentence, slowing to a stop as we both stared at the trio. I frowned, hearing his words echo as if in an amphitheatre. The world slowed as I turned to Mathias, my eyes wide as Reena's words reverberated through my head.

'You have until your heart swells to prepare'

My heart dropped into my stomach as Mathias frowned, staring at me worriedly. His mouth moved around words, but my hearing had failed. I pushed away from him and spun on my heel, my frantic gaze finding Finian's. He could feel my distress. He began to stand, his face taut as he watched me. I'd barely taken two steps toward him when the walls shook, a deafening boom from outside the ballroom.