8.May you meet the moon

Bodies were falling to the ground, dead. Most of the werewolves that were here were a bunch of children, ranging from 11 to 14, with either their parents, Alpha's or Luna's. Which meant most of those that were dying, were unprotected children.

I stumbled out into the fight, determined to find Anna and Valerie. I had lost them during my fight with Ester, and now I couldn't see them at all. I fought people off here and there, never stopping completely. Until something caught my eye.

Across the clearing stood a vampire with his hand clutched around a little girls neck, her body shaking with fear. I took off towards the pair, my blood rushing loudly, but I was too late. The sound of her neck snapping resonated through my whole body, and I latched onto the vampire and decided to do the same to him. He crumpled to the ground, dead.

I knelt next to her small lifeless body, and frowned at her hair, so familiar. I rolled her towards me. I choked out a sob as Morgan's lifeless, blue eyes stared back at me. I looked up, willing the tears to stay away. I reminded myself that I hardly knew her, that I didn't have the right to mourn over her before her family did. I reached out and closed her eyes before pressing my forehead to hers as a sign of respect. May you meet the moon, I whispered the werewolf prayer, in hopes that she truly would.

Werewolf belief is that they are ruled by the Moon Goddess, and that if you die an honorable death then you are sent to the moon, where the goddess resides, and your soul is graced with solitude.

I placed my arms under her and carried her to the nearby trees, out of the way of the fight, but easily spotted by her family or pack. After gently placing her down, I looked up, straight into the eyes of Orion. He looked beyond angry, almost animalistic, feral. He snarled and stomped towards me.

A wall of muscle blocked his path. My 'mate' stood, looking battered and bruised, but not bloody. He turned to me.

"Go! Go now! I'll come find you, just get out of here!." He spoke with urgency and a tinge of fear.

I hesitantly moved away from the glaring pair, until I spotted Anna. Her and Valerie were backed into a tree, holding each other's hand as the hunter aimed guns at them. I rolled my eyes, sick of this stupid behavior, and stalked up behind him. I grabbed onto his hair and smashed his face into the tree between the two frightened girls. He was unconscious after the first hit.

"We have to get out of here, now!" I told the pair, grabbing a hold of them both and pushing them passed the tree line. Neither tried to protest.

***

We made it to the house without running into anyone. We could vaguely hear the fight a few blocks away. The park had been cloaked in magic so the wolves could move undetected, and the humans couldn't hear a thing. It made me feel guilty that I'd just left them there.

I was the reason Orion was there in the first place, and I'd just left the werewolves and witch's to deal with him and his followers.

The door was slightly ajar, causing Valerie and Anna to look at each other before taking off inside the house, eyes shining different colors. I followed behind the frantic two, confused.

The house was a mess. Furniture was upturned or broken, holes decorated the walls, some of the carpet was ripped up, half the hallway wall was missing, and I'm pretty sure there'd been a fire in the corner of the loungeroom. But neither of the two stopped to view the damages, they just kept going until they reached the bathroom.

The room itself was not untouched. The mirror was broken, the shower curtain and the pole it hung from were on the floor, and the sink was virtually destroyed. I frowned as Valerie knelt beside the bath, where she placed her hands on the tiles. She was murmuring in a foreign language as her hands started moving across the floor. After a few seconds, a bunch of tiles shifted and rose, revealing what at first glance looked like a dark wooden box, but on closer inspection was an ancient looking book. Anna reached down and grabbed it as her mom put the tiles back. They both turned to me with serious looks.

"This grimoire belonged to Alizabeth, the prophet Orion ran into. Years later, when Orion learned of the prophecy, he hunted Alizabeth to try and stop the prophecy, but she refused to tell him. She would rather sacrifice herself then the rest of the supernaturals. A witch Orion was working with suggested reading her grimoire's. Seconds before Orion killed her, she placed a spell on this grimoire, only this grimoire, one that deemed only someone with the true nature and ability of destroying Orion, could open it. It now belongs to you." Valerie said, watching as Anna handed the book to me.

I stared down at it, expecting something to happen, but alas, nothing changed.

"Now, we have to get out of here, preferably somewhere far, far away." Valerie announced before leaving the bathroom, with Anna and I behind her.

"But where are we gonna go?" Anna asked, stopping with her hands on her hips.

Valerie turned to us with a small smile, "We're going to Romania."

I found myself stupidly blinking at her, my eyebrows furrowed. At my look, Valerie continued.

"I know some people who can help us. And now that there are only you, Aneshka and I in the coven, we have to expand, or we won't be powerful enough to do anything." She explained to her daughter.

Witches pulled power from the earth, the moon, the dead and each other. The only way you could be powerful enough without a coven, was to become a dark witch, a solitary witch, which specialized around just the dead and Earth, then slowly manifests into its own power source. The equivalent to a rogue.

"Pack your bags girls, I'm going to summon Aneshka, then we leave in half an hour."