31.Bleed

Chaos followed the explosion. I was still reeling, dazed and confused as people began to scramble out through the doors. It was a stampede of pushing bodies as screams rang through the estate. The throng separated Mathias and I, our fingers trying to keep a hold of each other.

I could hear him calling after me, his voice straining, but I was more focused on the anxiety that immediately flowed through the mate bond. My eyes found Finian's from across the room, staring over shoulders, before I was swept away.

It was obvious even before I was pushed into the rotunda that the attack was the work of Orion and The Immortal Faction. I'd been so caught up in my birthday that I'd completely disregarded the constant threat of the ancient witch.

Bodies were falling as the fight began, hunters, witches, werewolves and vampires alike tearing into each other. It was easy to tell who was with The Immortal Faction, dressed in emerald green uniforms, light material for easy movement. They looked like a marching band, faces drawn as wave after wave sauntered through the front door.

I swung at a werewolf that got too close, my hand connecting with his cheek mid shift. I sent him spiralling, my anger growing as people began to fester. The guests were unprepared for a fight, relying on instinct only. It left them vulnerable and easily picked off. Bodies began to line the floor like new carpet, blood pooling on the marble. By now most of nearly everyone was stuck in the rotunda, those who had fled up the stairs were followed. I knew that some had to of escaped the ballroom into different parts of the estate and outside, but whether they'd survive was debatable.

My fangs ripped into the neck of a young witch who tried so desperately to infiltrate my magic, my eyes changing as my claws passed through my fingers. The room was filled with noise, roars and screams as the battle grew on. My entire body vibrated with anxiety, a lump in my throat as I watched people fall. They were dying because of me.

"Regina!" I pivoted, nearly falling into Anna's arms. Her blonde hair was a mess, her feet bare. She had blood on her face, little cuts on the top half of her body.

"Are you okay?! Do you know where Finian is? Or Maddy?!" She shook her head, panting heavily.

"We got split up. Finian got up to look for you, Maddy completely disappeared. I've put a protection spell on her but it's waning, fast." I swiped at a hunter, glaring angrily before pain bloomed from my shoulder. A vampire had sunk her fangs into my flesh, unbeknown of my lethal blood. I yanked away and faced her, watching as she tensed, her eyes wide as her veins began to blacken visibly. She was dead seconds later.

"Anna-" I groaned, staring at the empty space where she had been standing. I frowned as my hearing wavered, my vision pushing and pulling things toward and away from me. I stumbled, my muscles cramping. I frantically looked around at the distorted faces around me.

My breath rushed out of me as I began to rise off the floor, pain flooding my body, tensing as the temperature dropped to freezing. My face screwed up as noises began to assault my hearing, wind blowing loudly. Then it began, the all too familiar flapping of wings. Like the slow trickle of water, cawing started to vibrate my eardrums, my body writhing against the tangible magic keeping me in place.

I steadied my breathing as my heart beat erratically, my anxiety rising as I remembered the day in the park. I called for my own magic coursing through my veins, and began to push against the foreign force.

As my confines loosened, I frantically opened my eyes, expecting Orion's evil gaze, but instead found the beady eyes of Harold, stood atop the stairs.

I growled, baring my teeth as I pushed harder. His round face began to slip as his control wavered. He stepped back as my arm slipped through, like the atmosphere with a hole in it.