Seven

Trust

Bea's POV

"Hi, Bea."

As if the universe had been trying to rescue me from this unfortunate mishap, Coach Tai blew his whistle, signaling us to come over and huddle.

I quickly walked over and pretended to be eager to listen to what Coach has to say.

While I was acting all interested, I saw Jhoana standing beside me. I ignored it, nevertheless.

"So as we all know the SEA games are coming up and we are one of the teams who is chosen to pick representatives for the U-23 Team," Ate Alyssa, our captain, spoke.

The other girls murmured.

"No need to get all hyped up. Pumili na kami who to send. This week, Coach Tai and I have been observing you girls. And it doesn't mean na 'di kayo yung napili namin, hindi kayo magaling or worthy. We've chosen these representatives because we think kailangan they need exposure and maybe, experience. Most of us naman here aren't first timers, right? Let's gonna leave this chance to the first-years. So later, I will talk to those representatives." She clapped dismissively. 

After that, we proceeded to our training.

Ignoring Jhoana was the hardest part of today's training, frankly. Every time she'd come near me or approach me, I'd go and talk to Maddie or Trey. I kinda felt bad for doing this to her.

At first, I didn't know why I was doing this but I'm kinda too late to stop now.
I don't wanna hear her. Not now, I think.

I mean, she has no absolute reason to stand me up these past few days and I'm doing the same thing to her now.

I've been waiting for her. And ngayon pa siya dadating?

When I felt a light tap on my back, I came back to reality.

It was just Ate Ly.

"Hi, Bea. I have to talk to you."

Feeling everybody's eyes including Jhoana's on us, I nervously went to the bleachers with Ate Ly.

Did I do something bad?

They probably noticed the awkward atmosphere between Jhoana and me.

Am I getting kicked out of the team?

"Mukha kang masyadong tensed, Bea. Lighten up, 'di naman kita kakainin eh." Our captain giggled which I shared consciously.

"So how's your first week here in Ateneo?" She asked.

"It's alright naman. I met lots of good people here. At first, it was hard adjusting and adapting to this new environment pero I think all of this will be worth it."

"That's true. Alam mo ako rin nung first-year ko pa dito, nahirapan akong mag-adjust. Sobrang nakakapag-panibago talaga. Ang yayaman at matatalino kasi ng mga students dito, no? Ang hirap-hirap nilang i-approach."

I laughed, remembering my first encounter with Jhoana.

"But sooner or later, you will get used the environment. Changes are good which is why we're choosing you as one of the representatives for the national team."

What.

"Don't worry, Jhoana Maraguinot is one of the representatives rin. You two seem to know each other naman, diba? It won't be a problem."

The.

"Kayong dalawa are going to be training with the other representatives of other schools. I'm not sure pa when special training will start but I've talked to Jho na and it looks like she's excited about being teammates with you."

Fuck.