three

A year ago Elijah wouldn't have even considered going with the girl who was staring at him expectantly, half leaning on the doorframe as she wrapped a curl around her finger

But Elijah had lost any morals he once possessed when he left Mystic Falls, so he slammed a $50 bill onto the counter and walked towards the young woman.

A devilish grin broke out on her face as she grabbed his hand and led him down the surprisingly quiet streets of Manhattan.

"Where are we going?" Elijah finally questioned, pulling her to a halt.

"I don't know," she shrugged, continuing down the street as she dragged him by the hand. "Didn't think I'd get you this far. Oh, come on, lighten up a little!"

They continued to walk in silence, the only noise between them being that of Victoria's heels clicking loudly against the pavement. Everything else was simply background noise.

"Okay, you're obviously not gonna talk so I guess I'll start. I was born and raised here but I went through this sort of nature loving phase and moved to New Jersey when I was 18. I lived there for a while before I moved to Chicago and when I got bored there I moved to LA." Victoria stared ahead at the basically empty street in front of them. "But nothing compared to New York so I packed up my things once more and I came back home."

"That's a lie."

"What?" She furrowed her perfectly maintained brows together.

"You didn't come back here because 'nothing compares to New York'. There's something more to your story." The young woman gave him a surprised look. "I'm good at reading people."

"Okay, well, first of all I wasn't lying, I just wasn't telling you the whole reason." The pair shared a short laugh. "We've just met, I'm not gonna spill my life story to you."

They stopped walking, Elijah's dark eyes locking with her bright ones.

"Yes you are," he compelled.

"Or I might," Victoria shrugged. "When I was in LA, I did some things I'm not proud of for money. And the more money I got, the more addicted I became to doing those things."

"So what changed the mind?" He shoved his hands into the pocket of his dress pants as they walked.

"I guess I finally came to my senses and snapped out of it and I came back here." She tucked some of her hair behind her ear, looking down at her heel clad feet as they continued to walk. "The best part about this city is that it has always accepted me. It'll accept you too, if you let it."

"I don't need it to accept me." Elijah kept looking straight ahead. "Besides, it's just a city."

"It's not just a city. It's New York." A gleam that he hadn't seen in a while appeared in her bright green eyes. "Anything is possible."