Chapter Two

My phone starts singing You Lie so I run of to my nightstand as I try to get dressed for work. When I look at the caller ID I see its Jake…again. It’s been three weeks since the incident and the twentieth time he’s called in the last week.  As usual I just ignore it. 

                I wonder if he will ever get a clue that I don’t want to talk. I don’t want to even see him. I’m still thinking about him when I’m with Adam, in or outside of the bedroom.

                As I slip my black skirt on it goes off again. I finally answer just to see what the hell he wants. “What?” I ask in a harsh tone.

                “Nice to talk to you too,” he says being a complete smart ass.

                “What do you want Jake, I’m trying to get ready for work.”

                “You’ve been ignoring me and I want to know why? You don’t pick up when I call; you don’t want to hang out with me and Adam.”

                “Listen, Jake now is not the time to discuss this,” I slip my shirt over my head. “I got to get going. Bye,” I hang up before he could respond.

                I throw my phone on my bed and finish getting ready. I hurry up and do my hair. I take out of the mess bun on the top of my head to reveal my long brown curls. I throw on some makeup then I'm practically out of the apartment.

                Once I get to work I put my stuff in the back then grab my little note pad and pen and go take orders. The nice thing about work is that I'm too busy to think about Jake or anything really.

                Around noon there is a small lunch rush. But right after the lunch crowd is gone I see a familiar face. I go up to the table and greet him, “What the hell are you doing here Jake?”

                “This is a public restaurant and I’m hungry.”

                I glare at him.

                “I would like to order, if you don’t mind.”

                “Get another waitress to. I will not serve you here.”

                “What the hell is going with you? Things seemed to be okay after the incident but then all of a sudden you’re pissed at me. What is going on?”

                “This isn’t the place to discuss this,” I turn to walk away.

                He hurries and stands up. He grabs my wrist a turns me to him. “No Katie, you’re not running away from this. What is going on?”

                “It’s between me and Adam and you’re not making it any better.

                “Don’t lie to me. I know it’s not you and Adam. He tells me everything about you two. So what is it? What's the thing that is making you hate me?”

                “Jake, this isn’t…” I start.

                He grips harder and interrupts me, “No, tell me.”I look down at my feet and think. This isn’t the places to discuss this. Not here, not at my work. But he’s gripping harder. I look up at his red face and say, “I’m late.”

                He grip loosen.

                “I told you, here isn’t the time or place to talk about this,” I say then try to walk away.