Chapter Nine

"Katharine, open the god damn door," Jake yells as he pounds against it.

"No, go away," I yell back as I sit down on the bed.

"Damn it Katharine," he hits the door again. "I know you're mad at me but if you would just let me explain..."

"You had your chance, now just leave," I say in tears. "Get out of my life, forever. I never what to see you again."

He pounds on the door one finale time. After that it gets quiet, he finally left. I take a minute just to breathe, to calm down; to collect myself. I get up and walk to the door. I slowly open it to see Jake looking at me with his big brown eyes.

"I'm never gonna leave you, I love you too much to do that," he says. Then moves closer and presses his lips against before I could say something.

I want to pull away and slap him across his face but I don't. I twine my arms around his neck and give into him. He puts his hands on my sides and deepens the kiss. After kissing for a while he pulls away. "I'm so sorry. I thought if we slept together you might fall for me. I know you would never do it while being sober so I did what I had to do. Also, I want you to know that I never planned on this happening," he puts on hand under my baby bump.

"I know, and your plan worked. I completely fell in love with you,"

He smiles in relief. He leans to kiss me but I step away.

"I don't want to end this moment but my water just broke and I kinda need to get to the hospital," I say.

"Oh god," he looks at me in panic.

"Don't worry I already called the doctor and he's gonna meet us at the hospital, I have my bag ready to go, everything is taken care of."

"At least your calm," he smiles again.

"That's because my contractions haven't started yet."

He lets out a little chuckle then realizes I'm not joking, "Oh boy."

"Jake, give me your hand," I say reaching for it.

"Not again," he sighs giving it to me. I squeeze it tight as I have another contraction. After it I let go and he says, "Damn it, Katie."

"Sorry babe, it just helps me with the pain."

He gives an understanding smile and nod.

The room filled with silence before Dr. Rimmer came in. "How are you feeling Katie?" he asks as he walks in.

"Alright," I answer.

"Good," he says. He goes to the foot of the bed, "I would like to take a peek of things if you don't mind."

"You're the doctor, go for it."

He laughs to himself then moves my legs into the stirrups. I feel his fingers and hands poking around and feeling my body. "Well Katie, you're dilating quite quickly. Considering that you came here three hours ago just at 2 centimeters dilated and you're now 6 centimeters I would say that this baby will be here in no time. What truly amazes me is that Friday at your appointment you weren't dilated, you're water wasn't broken, but now you're in active labor and close to having a baby."

"Is that not normal?"

"Yes, most women start having contractions, come into the hospital and I brake their water, induce them, or it happens naturally within a 24-48 hour period."