We Who Survive the Apocalypse

"You're next," the one-eyed man growled, pointing his finger at her.

She glared at him as forcefully as she could. When he came for her, he wouldn't know what hit him. She wasn't like the others. She was stronger. She was crazier. She was gonna get the hell out, and there was nobody that could stop her. Not even him. She knew she could get out if that fucking coward boy could before her.

She huddled in the cold, dark room, waiting, fingering her makeshift weapon. It wasn't anything more than a pen, but if she jabbed it into his good eye, or his neck, she'd win. She'd get out. It was unfortunate she couldn't bring some of the others with her, but that was that. She had to think about herself right now. It wasn't like when he escaped. He could've easily unlocked her cell door. But no, he left her, and everyone else.

When the one-eyed man came for her, she acted scared. She acted weak. She was gonna catch him off guard. He took her outside, and she saw that they were headed toward the building where it all happened. Now was her chance. She was already outside. All she'd have to do was get over or under the fence. Piece of cake.

She turned, bringing the pen up in her fist, shoving it as deep into his neck as she could get it. He rasped, stumbling back and clutching at his neck as the pen stuck out of it. Blood trickled down his skin.

She kicked him between the legs for good measure and for her own enjoyment, sending him to his knees as she ran toward the fence. There was no electricity here, so she simply climbed over, and disappeared into the cold, rainy night.

She ran and ran, and as she finally got out of the woods, and onto a road, a car came to a screeching halt in front of her, its headlights illuminating the raindrops around her.

Somebody jumped out of the backseat and grabbed her. She fought back. But there was no need.

He wasn't bad. Neither were his two friends. She realized this later. In fact, getting picked up by these people was probably the best thing that ever happened to her.

Because they led her to him.

That bastard would pay for leaving her behind.