Chapter 27 - Rude Awakening

She looks so helpless. So small. I watch Mara as she sleeps, just so she won't be alone in the brief moments Rogan takes for himself. She's so pale. I'm worried she won't bounce back from this.

The midwife is preparing to leave, but I wish she wouldn't. I'm so afraid that something might happen. Even though it seems to be over. But I'm still afraid.

Pirate is nestled beside Mara, though not sleeping. He seems to be watching her just as intently as I am. He has scarcely left her side this whole time.

I hear a slight rustle and look back at the doorway to see Rogan returning. There are dark circles under his eyes, and his silver eyes are duller than usual. I can tell he's exhausted. Without a word, I rise from sitting on the edge of the bed and brush past him, leaving him with her.

I don't think he's slept since we got here. And considering that he's injured, that's not a good thing. But his entire world revolves around her. He neglects himself to care for her, and I just know that he'll never do any different.

Eve, the midwife, is standing by the front door, bag in hand. Seth is gathering a few things, and Izzy is badgering him to hurry up. Hudson only sits on the couch, silently watching. He, too, looks worn and tired. Doyle stands by the window, gazing out, deep in thought.

Seth and Izzy are returning Eve to Finley. Izzy wouldn't hear of staying behind, and Seth insisted on going with her. We didn't feel like arguing with them, so there it was.

I head over to Hudson, place my hand on his shoulder. He looks up at me. "You could go with them, you know," I say, "To Finley. Live there, in comfort."

He doesn't reply, just looks down at his hands.

"You should go," I tell him, "you don't want to live on the Outside if you can help it."

He shakes his head. "I...I don't want to leave her. She's my friend." He's talking about Mara.

I nod in understanding, and leave him alone.

"Okay, we'll be back later," Izzy says briskly, ushering Eve and Seth out the door, "Don't wait up." And then she closes the door before any of us can get a word out.

I move to stand beside Doyle, laying my head on his shoulder, taking his hand in mine. We watch the truck pull off, mud sloshing behind the tires.

As I watch them depart, disappearing around a bend, I can't shake the bad feeling that's settling in my stomach.

+++++

I'm almost asleep, resting on Doyle's chest, his heartbeat lulling me into unconsciousness. His breathing is steady and slow. He has already fallen asleep. I'm trying to fend off the awful feeling that has come over me, and being close to him helps.

Or it did. But the feeling, this heavy dread, is getting worse. It's suffocating me. I wish I knew what it meant. I'm worried about Seth and Izzy. What if this feeling means something has happened to them? Suddenly, I'm not so sleepy anymore.

+++++

I don't even remember falling asleep, but I'm awakened by a shout and practically being thrown off the couch. Doyle is awake now, flying over to the window, where Hudson stands, pointing. I scramble to my feet and join them. And my stomach drops.

There, tearing across the field and getting closer by the second, are zombies. Hundreds of them. Maybe thousands. More than I've ever seen.

And most of them are runners.

+++++

Haha! I updatedddddd!!!! Finally! Jesus, how long has it been? Too long, 70 years maybe. Long enough to get frozen, thawed, and integrated into the 21st century.

But anyway....😋😁