Chapter 19 - Wounded

Chaos doesn't even begin to describe what I see when I return to the arena. People running everywhere, screaming, fighting, crying. Zombies snarling, stumbling, shuffling.

My breath comes shallow and quick as panic swallows me up when I can't spot Doyle anywhere. Rogan isn't shooting anymore. Pirate has disappeared.

And then a hand clamps down on my shoulder. I whip around, prepared to punch somebody in the throat, only to be met with his face.

"Doyle...." His name comes out in a whisper, and despite the blood on his clothes and face, I wrap my arms around him, so tightly he taps out a moment later.

"Come on, we gotta go," he says, "we need to find Izzy and Rogan."

"Izzy found me when I took Seth," I say, "She took him into the woods."

He nods. "Rogan then."

But as we turn to head out, Rogan appears, Pirate by his side, rifle slung over shoulder, his face ghostly pale.

He sways slightly, and Doyle lurches forward to catch him. "What's wrong?"

"Some jackass with a knife," Rogan grumbles, motioning to the dark stain on his coat, "And my leg's not too good."

"Let's get you out of here, then," Doyle says, pulling Rogan's arm over his shoulder.

"Mara?" Rogan asks hoarsely.

"I'm pretty sure she got out," I say, "This way." I begin walking in the direction I came, but soon Doyle's and Rogan's footsteps halt behind me.

"'Pretty sure'? That's not good enough." Rogan says. "I have an idea."

I turn to see him pulling what looks like fabric pulled off a shirt from one of his pockets. He holds it out and Pirate's large nose sniffs it. And then he takes off.

"Tell him to slow down!" Doyle grunts at Rogan as we try to keep up with the dog.

"Walk!" Rogan calls gruffly, and Pirate slows.

We catch up to him and he leads us through the fence Izzy led me to and into the woods. At last, we crest a hill, and Pirate takes off again. But in the moonlight I can see them huddled in a group on the other side of a small clearing.

They have a tiny fire going, hardly more than a spark, and definitely not visible to anyone who may be looking for them.

One of them comes walking toward us, and as they near I see that it's Hudson. His face is grim.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Kat got shot. And Mara's not doing so good," he replies.

At the last sentence, Rogan breaks free from Doyle and hurries as best he can toward the others, Pirate right beside him.

"Shot?" Doyle whispers before brushing past me and going to his cousin's side.

"And Mara?" I ask as Hudson and I walk toward the tiny fire side by side.

Hudson runs his hand over his mouth, sighing. "She was running with us, and then she just...stopped. Said something was wrong. That's how Kat got shot - shielding her from the guys chasing us. And I don't know much about gunshots but...it doesn't look good."

+++++

The fourth update today?! Oh my gawd what is happening??!!! I made a breakthrough...but I'll probably be blocked for a month now.

No, no, positive thoughts - I UPDATED FOUR TIMES WOOHOOOOOOOO

Okay bye. 

Time to reward my hard work with some SPN! 😇😈👻

(🎩 Four score and seven years ago...I had a funny hat 🎩)