Chapter 14 - Smoke

The gunfire stops as abruptly as it started. Doyle's arm is clamped tightly around my waist. I free myself from his grasp and sit up.

"Doyle? Are you hit?" I asked desperately.

He swears, sitting up. "I'm fine, but I can't believe we're getting shot at again!"

"Is everyone okay?" Seth asks. There's a murmur of "yes" from everyone, except for Hudson.

I scramble over to him and roll him over onto his back. An ugly gash runs along the side of his head, just above his ear, and blood rushes from it.

"Damn it," Seth mutters over my shoulder.

Before we even have time to regroup properly, another rain of bullets hits the house, and we all fall to the floor once more.

"God damn it!" Doyle sputters as the gunshots crash through the broken windows and splinter the walls and door.

I'm crouched in the fetal position on the debris strewn over the floor, my hands clamped over the back of my head. I was really hoping we'd catch a break. I'm tired of worrying and having to fight everyone.

There's so much noise; Mara's crying, the gunshots, the walls splintering, what's left of the glass shattering, but even through all of it, Seth and Izzy are arguing while they're lying on the floor trying not to get shot.

Then the gunshots suddenly stop again.

Kat takes this opportunity to speak. "So is there a backdoor to this place?"

"Who's to say they're not waiting at the back, too?" Izzy demands.

"I'm not saying we should try getting out that way, I'm saying maybe we should guard the back door!" Kat snaps at her.

"Well, there isn't a backdoor!" Seth yells at both of them.

Before a huge argument can commence, another volley of bullets reigns down on us. I feel Doyle's hands around my back, pulling me into him, his body over mine, shielding me. 

The noise is overwhelming. Gunshots, then a loud bang, like something really heavy falling on something really hard.

And then it all stops. Footsteps creak on the wooden floor, and then a single gunshot, followed by a dull thud. 

I peek out of Doyle's chest, and see the body of a stranger lying in the doorway, atop the door that had been knocked off its hinges, and Izzy, a primal anger burning in her eyes, aiming a pistol steadily.

Cold laughter originates from outside. "Do you really think that's going to help you?" A man's voice says, a voice so familiar it sends chills up my spine, but I can't quite recall why.

Izzy responds with another gunshot, which is answered with a cry of pain from someone outside.

"You better stop it, Izzy, you're only making it worse," the voice continues.

Who is this person, and how do they know Izzy's name? Apparently I'm not the only one with questions, because I hear Seth sputtering in confusion.

"Don't you fucking say my name, you miserable piece of shit!" Izzy thunders, shooting again, and I hear a groan and a thud.

"Stop killing my people, Izzy, or I'll have to take it out on yours," the voice says with a sigh, unfazed by the death of his goons.

"Just you fucking try!" She snarls, shooting again.

I can't see outside far enough to tell how many people are out there. I hear a slight rustle from the back of the room and turn to see Rogan ushering Mara into the other room, Pirate with his eye locked on the door, his teeth barred in a low growl.

Seth is standing just behind Izzy, his face drawn and pale, and Kat is staring at a corner of the room, and when I follow her gaze, I see she has spotted her gun. I don't know how she thinks she's gonna get it.

"Well, if I must," the voice says from outside in a dull tone, and the next thing that happens is a small, dark object is thrown through one of the windows.

Another follows shortly after, smoke issuing from both of them. We begin to choke on the putrid air as the dense cloud fills the room, obstructing our vision.

  The last thing I remember is being ripped away from Doyle and trying to scream through my coughs.

+++++

Oh hey, I updated again! Better go find your nearest doomsday stash and guard it, because the end of the world must be coming!!!

Seriously, I'm sorry at how rare and small these updates are. I suck. 

You guys are awesome, though, so patient! Seriously, I couldn't ask for better readers than you! xoxoxo