Chapter 31 - Forget

"I don't fucking care, I'm fine and I don't want to go!"

"Izzy, calm down! Jesus, a visit to the doctor isn't that big a deal! You just need to get your freaking bullet wound checked on! Did you forget about that time you got shot?!"

"Shut up, Seth, of course I remember! But I said I don't wanna go, and that's the end of it!"

I roll my eyes as I pull on my coat. Those two will never stop, will they?

Doyle chuckles beside me as he opens the door. "Some things never change."

"Yeah," I sigh. "I wish they'd cut it out."

He shrugs as we step outside into the cold air. "Hell would freeze over before those two stopped arguing."

"You're probably right."

+++++

Doyle and Hudson linger in the hallway, speaking in hushed tones as I enter the small white room. Mara lies on the bed, looking much better than the last time I saw her, with Pirate's head resting on her feet as he lays beside her.

She's gently stroking him, and looks up as I approach.

"Wynne!" She smiles.

"How are you?" I ask, sitting in the chair beside her bed.

She glances down at Pirate as she answers. "I'm okay, I guess. Physically they say I'll be better in a couple weeks. But...."

"I know." I reach out and take her hand, glad to feel it warm and not cold with death. I'm not sure what to say to comfort her, or if there's anything to say at all.

She takes a deep breath, and manages a shaky smile. "Dr. Farlin said that Rogan gets to come see me today."

"Really? That's great," I say, "does that mean he's not being held anymore?"

"I don't know," she replies, her smile disappearing again.

"Well, from what I've heard, it doesn't seem like many people disagreed with what he did," I tell her, hoping I'm not giving out false hope or something.

She shrugs. "I'm just glad I get to see him. Everything else will work itself out."

"Maybe." I hope so.

"All right." I jump slightly at the sound of a voice, and turn around to see Dr. Farlin poking his head in the door. "Time to go, Wynne. Mara needs her rest, especially since a very important visitor is coming to see her today."

I stand up, giving Mara a small hug. "Bye. I'll see you again soon."

+++++

Sleep doesn't really come easily as I lay in bed. The blankets are warm, and Doyle's arm rests lightly across my waist, but I'm wide awake. He seems to be sleeping soundly, and I'm glad, because he needs the rest. I need rest, too, but I can't stop thinking.

How is this thing with Rogan going to end? Is there any way he's going to be set free? What exactly is going to be done with him?

From what Ellie said to me, she doesn't seem too angry with what he did. But she might keep him locked up on principle. There might be others who want him put away. Even killed. She might be powerless to do what she thinks is just.

My body aches with exhaustion, and despite the warmth of the room, of Doyle's body next to mine, I can still feel the cold in my bones. I feel like it will never leave. As long as I can remember what happened since that night so long ago when I ran for my life, leaving my father behind to his death, the cold will never leave.

And I can never forget.

+++++

Yay! Another update! Woohoo!

Anyway, just a little heads up -- I'm moving! Yay. But anyway, that means I'm gonna be hella busy and probably won't have much time for writing. Which means that updates will be slow.

But that's old news with me, Procrastinator Extraordinaire.

At least this time I have a good reason 

But anyway, even though I feel like this chapter sucks, I hope you enjoyed it 😋