Not Worthless

Tord was leaning against the wall as he watched Matt and Edd train. It's been three days since Tom dropped the Shard off and the two soldiers were doing their best to train Edd.

So far it was good, but Edd was easily distracted. 'Just like Matt.' thought Tord. He looked up to wince as Edd was again, thrown into the wall.

"Edd, you okay?" asked Matt. "Ugh, ya, but, can we take a break, I don't know what'll happen if I poof." said Edd.

Tord blinked at that, won't he just reform? Then again, Edd was a gem shard, so perhaps he wouldn't? 'I have n idea.' thought Tord.

"Ya, we can stop today, I just remembered I'm need for patrol duty." said Matt. The Shard smiled at him to get up. "Tord, you want to take over?" asked Matt. "No, he doesn't know the basics of fighting yet, if I tried, I'd just poof him." said Tord.

The Amethyst nodded and went up to Edd, hugging him. "We'll pick up again tomorrow, ok?" asked Matt. "Yep, see you later Matt." grinned Edd.

The ginger gem left and Edd looked over to Tord. "Anything you want to do?" asked Edd. "I'm bored, so I'm taking a walk." said Tord. He got off the wall and leaves the arena, course Edd followed him.

"Don't you have anything better to do?" asked Tord. "Nope, Matt left, we usually hang out after training." said Edd. The Topaz sighed and ran a hand throw his hair. Why was Edd bugging him, he just wanted to be alone.

Edd stayed silent when he gasped. "TOM!" cried Edd excitedly. Tord froze at that and looked to see Edd running towards the Blue Pearl.

Edd hugged him tight as the Pearl sighed. "Nice seeing you too Edd, how's training?" asked Tom. "Great, Matt is really cool, and I'm getting better at fighting." said Edd.

Tord just stood there, staring at Tom. He didn't hear what they were saying, he just saw him. 'What's happening to me?!' thought Tord. He shook his head to see Edd looking a bit sad.

"I promise okay, when I finish delivering these notes, we'll hang out." said Tom. "I'm keeping you to it." said Edd. With that, the Shard happily walked away while Tom continued his walk.

Finding he could move again, Tord went after the Pearl. "Hey, Tom." said Tord. The Pearl looked at him to raise an eyebrow. "Wow, you actually know my name, what an honor." said Tom sarcastically. The Topaz ignored it to look at him.

"You really are different from the other Pearls I met." muttered Tord. "Ya, so what, I have more pride than them, going to report me?" asked Tom. "What, no, I'm just impressed, I always thought all Pearls were weak and submissive, but that's not the case with you." said Tord.

Tom was looking at him in shock while the other was sweating a bit. 'Di-did I just complement him, what is WRONG with me!' thought Tord.

"Thanks, besides Edd, no one has actual said that to me." said Tom. "Well, ya, they're just idiots, you're unique." said Tord, rubbing the back of his head. Tom snorted to face him fully.

"I appreciate it, but now I'm going to be late making my delivery and I promised Edd I'd be with him after." said Tom. "Okay, I'll see you another time, my friend." said Tord. "Whatever, not your friend." said Tom with a chuckle.

The Pearl walked away for Tord to stare. Unique indeed, he HAS to know him more. 'Tom, just what are you doing to my head?' thought Tord.

*~* EDDSWORLD *~*

Tom sighed as he left the room of one of the gem sentries. Once again, he was looked down on and disrespected for being a Pearl. Though he did enjoy the look on their face when he told them the delivery was from their Diamond.

He shook his head and traveled down the hall. He was happy to see Edd as he was his only friend, but then he thought back to that Topaz soldier. Why was he complementing him so much?

'Soldiers tend to ignore me unless I have something from Blue Diamond, why was he even talking to me?' wondered Tom. He put a hand to his chin to try and figure it out.

Unlike what all the other gems think, Tom was very smart, another trait that Pearls don't usually have. Then again, even smart, Tom couldn't fully understand things.

Like why Tord was even talking to him.

He decided to worry about it later as he came to Edd's quarters. He went in to see the Shard staring out the window. Something was wrong, Edd wasn't shaking in excitement or even anything.

"Uh Edd, you okay?" asked Tom. At that, the Shard turned to him, and to the Pearl's shock, Edd was crying. "T-Tom." sobbed Edd. He got up from his seat and ran to the Pearl, hugging him as he cried.

"Edd, what happened?" asked Tom. "I-I was coming back to my r-room when I met some other gems." sobbed Edd. "What did they do?" asked Tom. "Th-they laughed at me when I said hi, to-told me not to speak as I'm not a real gem, that I was just part of one and that I belong in the trash." cried Edd.

This angered Tom, no one has the right to say that to Edd. "Who were they?" asked Tom. "Th-they were Rubies, three of them, I guess they were training as they went towards the arena, but still, they told me I was worthless, a nothing." sobbed Edd.

If Tom was angry before, he really was now, DAMN THOSE RUBIES!! 'He's very sensitive, damn those idiot soldiers.' thought Tom.

Edd wiped his eyes and looked at his friend. "They're right though, I'm NOT a real gem, I was just made from a piece of one, I really am worthless." sniffled Edd. "Hell you are, Edd, you have a form of your own, you can move like any other gem, plus with training, you can fight like one, ignore those guys, they don't know you." said Tom.

Edd wiped a tear away to look at Tom. "You mean it?" asked Edd. "Of course, once you finish training, you'll be just like any other soldier, only I bet more powerful." said Tom. This made the Shard smile big and hug his friend.

"That means a lot, thanks Tom." beamed Edd. "No problem." said Tom. Edd pulled back to look at his bed. "I do want to hang out still, but could I be alone for a bit?" asked Edd. "Sure, I just remembered Blue Diamond had another task for me." said Tom.

The Shard nodded and laid on his bed while the Pearl left. He walked down the hall, but instead of going to Blue Diamond, he was going to the arena.

'Those Rubies are going to pay.' thought Tom.

He reached the arena to sneak in, he saw the three Rubies, they were alone. "Ha, just wait, those Crystal Clods won't know what hit them." laughed a Ruby with his gem on his forehead. "Ya, they're such weaklings." said another with their gem on their stomach. "Can't be any weaker than that Shard right, acting like a real gem, pathetic." laughed the last Ruby with a gem on their leg.

Tom grinds his teeth as he heard them laugh together. They were STILL making fun of Edd. 'Not for long.' thought Tom.

Closing his eyes, he opened them for the purple smoke to come out. He raised his hand and let out three small fire balls. They all hit the Rubies hard.

"Ow, what the, where did that come from?!" demanded Forehead Ruby. Tom smirked to let loose more of his fire. "Ah, we're under attack, help!" cried out Leg Ruby. "Where is it coming from?!" demanded Stomach Ruby.

Tom looked up to see a hanging light and summoned his harpoon. It was made of light blue energy and Tom threw it. It cut the line and the light fell, landing on the Rubies.

The smoke left his eyes as Tom calmly walked more into the area. The three Rubies were poofed and now resided in their gem stones. Tom collected them and went over to the wall.

"The only trash here is you three." muttered Tom. He opened a panel in the wall, a chute leading to the trash room. He dumped the Rubies down the chute and closed it, dusting his hands.

With that, Tom left the arena with his harpoon, whistling a small tune. Now to see Edd and make sure he was doing better.

And no one was the wiser of what the Blue Pearl did.

NOTE: Aw, Tom is very protective of his friend. But I agree, no one makes Edd cry and gets away with it! So, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, but I feel I may have made things go a bit fast between Tord and Tom, what do you guys think? Anyway, Tom took down those Rubies and no one knew, go Tom! Well, Till the next update, bye~