Amber

Do you know about the Amber Alert?

Well, this is the story about how it became the Amber Alert.

On January 13, 1996, Amber Hagerman was kidnapped while riding her bike. A neighbor who witnessed the kidnapping called the police. Amber's brother, Ricky, went home to tell his parents and grandparents what had happened. It's believed that her captor kept her alive for about two days before killing her. For four days, they searched until they found her dead body near midnight at a creek behind an apartment complex. On her body, their were cut wounds to her neck, which was what killed her. The site of the discovery was less than five miles from where she was abducted.

After her death, her parents pushed for an alert system to help find kidnapped children quicker, before anything had the chance to happen like it did to Amber. The Amber Alert is officially a backronym for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response.

Today, the Amber Alert helps find and return kids back to their families quickly and efficiently.

💬ReadWriteInspiration💬

Personally, this story always is sad, but I'm so thankful for her parents who pushed to help other kids! I know several people who have been saved because of this alert, and I'm so thankful.