12 - All's Fair in Love and War

"When she says 'fuck you' it means 'I like you.' It's hood girl speak. Learn the language."
~Kevin, Shameless

➳♀♁➳

The world glitters under the sun. The trees are lush, overflowing with vibrant leaves. The sky is clear, a never-ending canvass of blue stretching in all directions.

Oliver's motorcycle flies past Fran's, and he takes one hand off the handle to place it on my leg, leaning back slightly to yell, "Remember when you almost died via fry inhalation?"

I laugh and hold him tighter around the middle, suddenly realizing how much fun I'm having even though the day has just begun.

We roll into town, Oliver slowing the bike down as we drive through Main Street, the shops bustling with people. The fair is just past Main Street, off of Birch, where the sand starts and circles the lake. For the full weekend, the entire town will be down in this area, eating at food carts parked around, buying summery clothes from the boutiques, and spending endless money on tickets for the rides and games.

It's one of the busiest times of the year.

Oliver slows down as we approach a police officer in the middle of the road that I recognize as Mr. Waterson, a coworker of my dad. He waves us down Birch street and away from the busiest part of town, where cars won't be allowed to enter until after the festivities. It dawns on me that my dad will be working today, walking around in his police uniform and keeping control of the crowds.

I make a mental note to look out for him so Oliver and I can avoid him at all costs.

Little early to meet the parents.

Oliver follows the road down until we reach a field just past the lake, a sign labeled "Free Parking" sitting out front. The bike grumbles and purrs as we slow down, finally huffing to a stop as we pull up next to a red truck. Oliver kicks the stand down and turns the key as I finally get the chance to peel off the pesky helmet.

Oliver gets off first and holds out a hand to help me off. A bustling family passes us, the four kids in various stages of running and skipping to get to the festivities.

"I just have to warn you," Oliver starts, looking me in the eyes with a blank expression, "I once beat a guy in a cotton candy eating contest, and if it comes down to it, I'm not afraid to crush you as well."

I blink. "Yeah? Well at last year's fair, I chugged an entire bottle of ketchup on a dare and went on the Tilt-A-Wirl right after. Didn't even throw up."

He looks surprised. "You never cease to amaze me, Sorry."

I can't help the grin that surfaces.

"Shall we?" He asks, motioning in the direction of the fair. I nod and we start walking. The sun is high and bright like my anticipation for today.

"So you've lived in Helaci your whole life, right?" Oliver asks me.

"Yep," I answer easily as we walk out of the field and start down the road. We're a good quarter mile away, but the loud shrieks of fear and excitement can still be heard loud and clear. "My parents were both born here too. They were sort of high school sweethearts."