16 - Attention, Lovers

"Kiss me, and you will see how important I am."
~Sylvia Plath

➳♀♁➳

Every year since I'd met the Creevy's, Memorial Day was spent at their cottage on Wayne's Lake. They invited Lina and I, our families, and whoever else Senator Creevy needed to woo to his side. We'd go boating, tubing, and swimming. We'd lay out and tan, play volleyball on the beach, or search surrounding cottages for cute boys.

Memorial Day reminded me of the hotdogs we cooked on the grill and the fireworks Cora's dad would launch into the sky. It was Cora's favorite holiday, because as long as the cottage was filled with people her dad had to impress, he stayed nice. For a few days, it was like she had an actual father.

This year, however, Senator Creevy and his wife had to attend a conference out of state. Cora wasn't going to let that ruin her weekend, though, and asked if she could have a few friends up at the cottage to celebrate alone.

Her father said no, naturally.

So Cora told me to throw some things in a bag and get in the car - we were going to do it anyway.

And I was really looking forward to going, even if it was against the Master of the House's wishes. The emotional breakdown from the week before had been quite draining, and I'd spent as much time with my family as possible in the days after. We went to Molly's favorite restaurant, I took her to see "Cars 3," and we went out for way too much ice cream. And although I was happy for some family time, especially after realizing that my brother was leaving in less than a month, a weekend at Cora's cottage wasn't something I was going to turn down.

I was ready for a relaxing couple of days, laying out in my bikini, drama free.

➳♀♁➳

My duffel bag swings against my legs as I lug it down the stairs and into the living room of my house. Cora and Lina look up when I come into view, each giving me wide grins. Cora's already wearing her bikini, a cherry red triangle top with matching bottoms, with a see-through, knit coverup dress overtop. Lina's wearing a flowery, flowy sundress and a big floppy hat.

I look down at my running shorts and "Happy Camper" t-shirt and grimace.

"I hope you brought your sexiest bikini, girlfriend," Lina hoots, throwing on a pair of sunglasses, "because that milkshake's gonna bring all the boys tonight!"

I roll my eyes and laugh. I loved camping. Ever since I was little I'd gone on trips with my dad and brother, sleeping in a tent in the woods, the chirping of crickets and buzzing of mosquitos lulling me to sleep. Cora and Lina despised that sort of camping, and much preferred staying in Cora's three story cottage with king sized beds and stocked refrigerator.

I packed t-shirts and leggings and they dressed like they were competing in a fashion show.

"Let's get the show on the road!" Cora says, throwing her hands up. "Scott and Brandon are waiting in their car to follow us up there."

Scott was Lina's two-year boyfriend, but Brandon was a name I didn't recognize.

When Lina saw my confusion, she commented, "Brandon is Cora's new lover boy."

I frown. "Cora, you didn't tell me you were seeing someone."

She gives me a slow smile. "You were busy."