2 - A Series of Unfortunate (Drunken) Events

"If I'm sincere today, what does it matter if I regret it tomorrow?"

~Jose Saramago

➳♀♁➳

Something hard jabbed me in the side. I ignored it and nuzzled further into my pile of blankets, shielding my eyes to the sunlight that threatened to wake me. My eyelashes fluttered against my cheeks as I slowly nodded off again when something furry landed on my ankle. Huffing, I flicked my toes and pulled my leg up closer to my body.

"Five more minutes, mom," I mumbled incoherently, sighing deeply.

A pile of fur landed on my face.

"That's it!" I screamed, launching myself off the beanbag. Eyes snapping open, I expected to see Lina or Cora. "Stop touching me!"

A cat stared at me from a few feet away, gray tail standing at attention, fangs out.

It hissed.

My anger died, and I yawned, ruffling my hair, which had knotted itself at the top of my head. "Sorry I yelled at you, Snubbs."

Mr. Snubbs hissed once more, his crooked whiskers bobbing as his sharp teeth slid out from behind his bared muzzle. As a cat, he'd seen better days. He was older than the moon, his fur matted in places, but Cora couldn't bear to part with her childhood friend.

I yawned again and kicked away the blankets that pooled at my feet. Glancing about the room that was now bathed in sunlight, I noticed the crumpled blankets and empty pillows on the bed that was supposed to house my two friends. I furrowed my brows, yawning again. Where are they?

The warm, morning air met my skin, and I ran a hand through my curly hair, attempting to smooth it. My skin felt tight across my face, and I frowned, beginning to notice the pulsing headache that tucked itself between my temples. It hammered in the middle, and my eyes nearly rolled down the front of my face.

I sighed, stumbling up to a standing position, and promised to never drink again—a promise I'd made, and broken, too many times to count on two hands.

"Good, you're up."

I looked towards the door. Cora stood there, blonde hair perfectly straightened, smiling. She wore a purple blouse with dark skinny jeans, dressed impeccably, per usual. Cora was gorgeous, the kind of pretty you couldn't ignore. When we'd met in middle school, she'd been all pomp and formal, the perfect daughter of a Senator. I'd hated her at the start, with her upturned nose and pouty mouth. In an unfortunate turn of events, I'd punched her in the nose for trying to steal my brand new jean jacket, and we'd been friends ever since. Cora dropped the stealing habit, and I grew out of the jacket.

"We're all downstairs eating breakfast," Cora announced, turning to head down the hall. "Hurry up, Sleepyhead, the pancakes are dwindling."

My stomach rumbled at the thought of pancakes. "Thanks, I'll be down in a sec." I was vaguely aware that it was a Monday, and school would be happening at some point today. I put a hand to my hammering skull and winced. "What time is it?" Not a single fiber of my being wanted to attend high school, which was hell on a regular day, even worse with a hangover.

Cora's smile bordered on evil. "Seven o'clock."

"Seven?!" I squealed, pushing past her into the hall and running towards the bathroom. School started at 7:30. Cora and Lina had let me sleep in on purpose.

Damn them.

Cora laughed, and I caught her gleaming eyes in the bathroom mirror. "Lina and I didn't want to wake your pretty face."