Chapter 3: The Beacon

The Imperial forces grouped at the freshly captured command depot, the plains surrounding it filled with transports from both Space Marine and Imperial Guard forces. Commissar Yarrick and his command squad entered the pyramid building and met up with the Space Marine Commander and his entourage of psykers and veterans.

"Commissar Yarrick" Nebulous began "How are your men?"

"Grateful for your support, Commander" the Commissar bowed his head as he spoke and then straightened up "May I inquire what your next course of action is?"

"Indeed" the Librarian approached "We'll need to locate the Ork Warboss behind this attack. Without a leader, the Orks will scatter and be all the easier to destroy"

"I have dispatched my finest scouts to search the immediate area for any Ork camps" Nebulous revealed "With a Waaagh! of this size, it is highly likely that the Warboss is stationed at the heart of a network of smaller camps, holed up in the mightiest. It is imperative that we locate and destroy this leader to demoralise and ultimately defeat the Ork threat" In that instant, a scout ran up to the group, not one of whom the Commander spoke, just a perimeter scout defence team.

"My lord, ships are approaching the planet's atmosphere" he reported.

"I see, colours?" the Commander inquired.

"Imperium, sir"

"Very good, Segmentum Command has responded quickly" the Librarian noted, but the scout shook his head.

"There are many Imperial Guard vessels, sir, but others" he continued "Other vessels of the Imperium, from Holy Terra itself" the Commander looked puzzled and moved out into the open, taking up a pair of binoculars. He could see the fleet forming over the planet and then spotted the drop ships, and the markings they bore.

"Damn!" he cursed "It's them"

"Them?" Yarrick asked, walking up beside him.

"The Sisters of Battle, greatest warriors of the Inquisition Witch Hunters" the Commander explained "What in the name of Terra are they doing here?"

It took some time for the Space Marines and Commissar Yarrick to reach the drop location, close to the Southern tank depot. By the time they arrived, the Battle Sisters had unloaded all of their units in a vast sea of warriors, Exorcist tanks and other weapons of Holy War. Commander Nebulous knew these maidens of battle well, many times had they come to the Ultramarine home world in search of heresy and betrayal. From the group of Sisters there emerged the Canoness, commander of all Sisters of Battle. Nebulous knew this one in particular, the Canoness of the Kauravan Battle Sisters. Selena Agna towered over the Sisters around her and approached with steely determination.

"Canoness Agna, a pleasure to see you again" Nebulous greeted her respectfully, these maidens should never be crossed intentionally.

"You can stop with the pleasantries, Nebulous, we're here on official business" Selena scolded him and walked straight past "Commissar Yarrick, your Imperial Guard regiment was assigned to claim this world and defend it, correct?" Yarrick stammered, and Agna's eyes thinned "Correct, Commissar?"

"Y-yes, my lady" Yarrick responded, and Agna sighed heavily.

"You have fought how many wars against the Orks, Commissar?" the Canoness continued.

"Many beyond count, my lady"

"And how would you judge your ability in battle against the green-skinned menace?" Selena eyed him closely, reading every movement in response to her interrogation, sniffing out the doubt within.

"I would consider myself one of the best…from my regiment of course, not up to Space Marine standard" Yarrick's eye darted to Commander Nebulous, and Selena also looked over to him, but not out of admiration or any such feeling. And she quickly returned her gaze to Yarrick.