Chapter 4: The Oncoming Storm

The days passed slowly now, the Orks sent out several raiding parties but no force as large as their last great assault. It seemed as though the arrival of the Space Marines had delivered a great blow to their morale, the Imperials knew that there were more Orks out there than they were sending. Could the force be in revolt? Too much time spent waiting and planning was always a major threat faced by all Waaagh! Warbosses, the boys would often break out in fighting or even challenge the strength of the Boss himself. But deep down Nebulous knew that this was not the cause of their sudden lack of activity.

He had explained to his comrades what he had seen in the Morgul Vale, a ritual that screamed resemblance to those of the Chaos Heretics, but conducted by Orks. Was it even possible for Orks to succumb to the Warp? What use could the Dark Gods possibly have for such simple-minded creatures? All these thoughts and more did Nebulous share with Librarian Stellous and Chaplain Antion, but they did not waste words with the Order of the Sacred Rose. Selena Agna had led her Sisters of Battle into yet another stronghold held by the Orks and seized it for the Imperium, setting up her own separate headquarters. It was clear that she still held resentment over leaving the Kaurava Conflict unresolved, even with her new position, and she still was not entirely convinced of the Commissar's innocence.

But what nagged the mind of the Commander more than the Orks or the Sisters of Battle were the Eldar. Again those elusive aliens had intervened in Imperium business, set up a base on an Imperial planet and began their own operations. True it was honourable of them to alert the Marines to the beacon, but why? Nebulous believed, though he would never share this thought, that the Eldar could be trusted. Never before had they advised the Imperium of a threat that was non-existent, the Necrons on Lorn V and in Kaurava, the imprisoned Daemon of Tartarus, all these time they were telling the truth. But the Imperium was too sure of itself and unsure of aliens that they refused to believe.

Dawn of the third day arrived and, without telling where the suggestion came from, Commander Nebulous ordered a scan sweep of surrounding space. He then ordered all Marine forces to return to their nearest stronghold and await further instructions. He would not be caught unaware if the Eldar were telling the truth, or have his bases found undefended if they planned a betrayal.

The Eldar, as it would turn out, were too busy themselves. Their camp, situated West of the Restless Forest, in the heart of the ancient city of Erstwhile, was being prepared for a very important arrival. The Main Webway Gate began to flicker to life, and Farseer Caerys went down on one knee with her entire force as another figure entered their midst. The figure bore a tall blue staff, tipped with an emblem of Craftworld Ulthwé, and a spine of pure wraithbone. His body was darker than those of Caerys' forces, to display his authority, and in his other hand he held a long sword.

"Arise, Farseer" he spoke in the typical Eldar tone, with the song echo chiming his every word.

"Eldrad Ulthran, welcome to Deimopia" Caerys spoke respectfully as she stood by his side.

"Thank you, Farseer Caerys" Ulthran responded "What news do you have for me?" the two began to walk along the rows of Guardians and Fire Dragons, passing under the mighty legs of a Wraithlord as they went.

"The Imperials have not stumbled yet, Lord Farseer" Caerys reported "They have set up a base of operations East of the fallen city of Constantis and have successfully pushed the Orks back into their own central bases, but our Rangers have been unable to locate them"

"The Orks are more cunning than we give them credit for" Ulthran noted "What of the beacon? Has it worked?"

"I believe so, I have foreseen this" Caerys replied quietly "They come even as we speak. They will be here soon. A few more hours, maybe, before the first of them arrive, and then, though I know not how, I see us being trapped here. Even our Webway will not deliver us from the evil that will consume this world"