Chapter 6: Nemeses

Nobz poured into formation as the weaker and more runty Orks broke from the horrific slaughter undertaken by the Ultramarines. Masses of Ork bodies were piled high, as the routing army broke off the attack and turned its attentions to other objectives. Commander Nebulous watched curiously as the green-skins began to run from the battle, moving in the direction of the might fortress. At the very top of the great causeway, there stood a giant figure. The bulky mega-armour of Ghazghkull Thraka was illuminated by a sudden flash of lightning as rain began to fall on the battlefield. With a howl of rage, the War Lord brought his power claw down on the gates of Fort Montakaan and shattered them with a single blow, allowing the horde to pour freely through that portal and inside the fortress.

"Form up ya lousy bunch a gits!" he bellowed "Get da big shootas at da front! Sluggas behind! You boyz better not screw dis up!" he let out a strong growl and eyed them with his one good eye, while the visor on the other zoomed in on them. He could see the sweat on their green skins, it infuriated him "I'ze going to get da 'jective! You'ze boyz gonna cover me, got it?"

"Sure thing, you'ze da boss" an Ork replied, and Ghazghkull laughed.

"Ya damn right!"

"Commander, we must advance" Librarian Stellous stood before the triumphant forces of the Space Marines with a steel look in his eyes.

"There is a wall of Nobz blocking our path, elite forces fall in!" Nebulous commanded. Two giant Dreadnoughts stomped out into the front as a wave of Terminators and Assault Terminators took up flanks around them. But before they could fire on the waiting rows of Nobz, Gauss Flayers let loose their deadly power and tore into the green-skins as the Necrons moved out to enforce their claim. The giant Monolith unleashed blasts from its energy core and decimated the Nobz in a few simple shots, before the entire deathless army turned on their mechanical heels and faced the Imperials. To the left of the Space Marines, the Imperial Guard had recovered their forces after the initial battle and stood ready. To the right, the Sisters of Battle held their weapons high, reminding the Necrons of the pain they would inflict. But one cannot deter a Necron.

As the Necron Pariahs moved to one side, their commander stepped forward. He was more than a mere Necron, he wore the shrouded cloak of the C'Tan gods he obeyed, carried a mighty warscythe in one hand and a large black orb in the other. The Necron Lord, deadliest and most powerful of the deathless armies, eyed his prey carefully, as if assessing their every strength and weakness. His green eyes scanned the battlefield, seeing dozens of Guardsmen's bodies scattered around, but none of these powerful super-soldiers. With another look, the mysterious Lord also noted that not a single Battle Sister lay slain on the field.

Canoness Agna, Commissar Yarrick and Commander Nebulous must have wondered what thoughts or analogies ran through the machine's mind as one by one his eyes fell on them. And when he reached the Commissar, those lifeless eyes seemed to pulse with pure hatred. For indeed, the Imperial Guard, most numerous of the Emperor's servants, was the force that most tainted the galaxy with its life. Billions of soldiers, thousands of regiments, all spread out over countless worlds, and the Necron Lord despised them all.

Without a single word, the deathless army opened fire, their Gauss weapons falling on the Imperial Guard and wiping out the entire front lines in a matter of seconds. The Space Marines took to ground in an instant and returned fire, and the Battle Sisters took cover behind a devastated tank and let their flames fly. The Monolith turned slowly and silently, its might blasts destroying entire battalions of Guardsmen with single shots.

"Concentrate your fire! Take them down!" Yarrick bellowed over the sudden outbreak of bolter fire from all around him "Artillery, this is Commissar Yarrick, deploy the Sentinels to my location, now!"