Chapter 13: Wrath of the Gods

"Crush them!"

The bone shattering cry of the enraged Daemon Prince rang through the air as he roared with fury, matched only by the violent rumbling that suddenly sprang up all around. The Space Marines and their allies simultaneously took up their weapons and held them steadily in both hands, pointed at the crest of the plateau's outer hill as the rumbling grew louder. First to fly over those hills were the Hellions, soaring into the sky and drawing the barrage of fire skyward as a great cloud of Orks flew themselves over the hill and charged down the grassy plains toward the front lines of the alliance. But from behind the wall of ranged forces, jump troops from every faction soared forward, providing an ample defence for when the tides would inevitably crash.

The Orks were rabid, screaming at the top of their bestial lungs and flailing their choppas over their heads with anger, foaming at the mouth and with claws ready for battle. They could feel the fire in their hearts burning, this would be one great fight, and that only served to further hunger them. The craft of the Dark Eldar rose over the hills, soaring over the horde and the mounting pile of green corpses getting ever closer to the Marine's lines. The Raiders and Ravagers opened fire, their dark lance weapons would punch straight through the power armour of the Ultramarines, if not for the instant and miraculous appearance of the giant Wraithlords. They couldn't get a clear shot before the Eldar giants bore down on them, swinging monstrous blades through their hulls and sending the burnt remains crashing to the ground.

The Orks were getting too close now. Nebulous could feel the spray of their blood as he shot them down, soon their flesh would be at his feet and then their warriors would be upon them. Sure enough, as though Ghazghkull had planned it to perfection, the first green-skins to reach the front lines were no mere boys, but lumbering and ferocious Nobz. Nebulous called out his command, and the entire front line hit the deck at the exact moment that the barrage of heavy fire from Ogryns, Kasrkin and Warp Spiders broke out, tearing into the green flesh of the larger Orks. The Raiders broke off, scattering like cockroaches around the giant forms of the Wraithlords while Fire Prisms blasted them from below.

Bolts bounced with harmless pings from the heavy armour as the giant Nobz clad in mega-armour stomped their way to the front, clambering over the mound of corpses and opening fire with their shootas, scorchas and melta guns. Terminators reacted instantly and deployed to take the brunt of the attack, shielding their allies as the great Dreadnoughts and Wraithlords ploughed forward, taking up Orks in their vice-like grips, crushing their skulls and tossing the lifeless bodies aside. The mobile torture devices of the Dark Eldar hummed over the hills as Talos deployed all along the ridge, their claws and stingers ready to reap the harvest of screams. With a shrieked command from Asdrubael Vect, they soared forward as the debased aliens launched a counter-attack like no other.

A swarm of Reaver Jetbikes and Raiders burst from the shelter behind the hill, accompanied by a cloud of Scarabs. Though the Dreadnoughts and other heavy weapons teams directed much of their fire at this new assault, the shots were intercepted by the tiny metal beetles. In came the Imperial Guard, their soldiers deploying from countless Chimeras and taking up positions with grenade launchers, rocket launchers and other devastating long range weapons. The swarms were no match, and before the Dark Eldar had assembled enough forces to launch their attacks, once again they were broken and scattered. Upon his Dais, Vect cursed with a hiss of pure hatred.

For hours this continued. Swarms of bloodthirsty Orks threw their full might over the hill to be met only by the barrage of bolter, lascannon and warp powered weapons alike. The mound of corpses grew great, and from the top of the hill the Sorcerer watched with a burning fury, ordering more and more Orks into the fray with venomous rage.

The Space Marines ducked under the approach of the Battle Sisters as they replaced the front line forces. Reloading their weapons the Marines split up, spreading out their forces through the entire alliance to provide their versatile expertise. Chaplain Antion gave a great cry of triumph and his men emulated him with zeal. Purging flames spread out into the tide of Xeno filth that came fumbling over the hill, and the Daemon Prince Firaveus Carron looked on with a hatred that can only come from such a daemonic force.