I Missed You

In that moment I ran into her arms. My mom. Mom. Mommy. The one who was always there for me even if she wasn't physically there. The one who comforted me without knowing me. But that never bothered me. In a way my mom was my best friend, and to be in arms after four years was amazing.

"Oh, baby I missed you. I missed you so much." She whispered as she hugged me. Her tears falling graceful down her cheek bones.

"I missed you too mom." I whispers as I disconnected from the hug but still holding onto her elbows.

"You look so beautiful...so grown up!" Her smile was one of pride. The one she used when she got a new client. But yet not so much. This smile was one were she wanted to flaunt me off and proudly say 'This here is my daughter.'

"She looks too old for a seventeen year old." My father said. He hadn't changed. Not one bit. Still harsh looking. Still has the brutal look in his eyes that say 'Don't mess with me. I am always right. I always win'

"Hi dad." I was nervous. My father was picky. He was practically a stranger. When I grew up I knew that this man hangs in the pictures of the house. I knew he was my father. But to me, he was just a sperm donor. Just half of my DNA. He was practically never home. In fact he was home less then my mom was home. Mom only was home 10 days a year max, but usually only came home 5 days a year. My dad was just a man who I called dad. He never got the role though. The first memory I have of him is when I was five. The first memory I have of my mom is when I was three. There's a drastic difference there.

"Are you going to hug me or what?" He spoke as he put down his phone and raised his eyebrows.

With that I ran to his arms. At the end of the day he is my dad. He was half my DNA. Though he was barley home growing up, the memories I had with him were some of the best. We were similar in some ways. We were are nerds, geeks whatever you like to call them. We loved Marvel movies. We loved books. We loved the idea of magic and adventure.
"I missed you cupcake." He sighed as he let go of me taking me in.

"What do you guys think." I wouldn't say I was nervous only because I loved my look but at the same time it was important.

My mom hesitated before speaking,"You look different, but yet you in a way." I smiled while side hugged her.

It took dad a good minute to answer, "My baby grew up into a young confident women.  New York did you good."
I laughed a little. It felt like the weights in my shoulder were lifted off my shoulders.

Then reality sunk right back in and kicked me in the ass.
"So honey," dad asks aggressively almost,"who are they?" He says nodding his head towards the gang.

For the love of god. And to think I thought everything so going well.