Betrayal •°

~Xavier Anderson~

Waking up to the alarm ringing, I headed into the shower to take a bath.

Memories flashed while the hot water splashed onto my skin, and I vigourously shook my head so hard to erase them. Memories that brought remorse, heart break, and pain.

A Christmas without my Father and without her. I couldn't even say her name without feeling like a piece was missing from me.

After showering and dressing, I put my luggage in the car, started the engine, and raced to the airport.

My uncle had prepared a Christmas dinner in Georgia to gather all the relatives in one house, so that we would celebrate Christmas together just like every year. Unlike last year, I was going alone this time.

Feeling exhausted and jetlagged after being in the plane for about eight hours, I pulled myself up and called the agency. I told them I had landed, so they would hand me the rented car along with its key.

I dailed my uncle's number to inform him I had landed safely, as he had so constantly pestered me to. Depending on the traffic, I figured I would reach his home in an hour so.

After tipping the airport staff who had helped carry my luggage, I got into the rental car and switched it on. Without prolonging my travels any further, I headed to my destination tucked amongst the snowcapped mountains.

A weird noise from the engine sounded about half an hour later. The car started fuming as it rolled to a halt, refusing to move any further.

I opened the door with irritation, and just as I got out, the cold breeze made me flinch.

The frigid snow bit my skin, making my palms tingle as I opened the hood of the car to check the problem.

The hot smoke mixed with the chilling blizzard was accompanied by the fizzling sound from the engine.The blizzard's coolness and wind blew the hot smoke from the car into my face, making me cough in an uncontrolled manner.

Great.

"Couldn't you wait half an hour!?"

I kicked the car in exasperation before I got my bags and all my belongings from the boot.

Hoping to find a car or someone who could help me, I stared in the direction of my destination.

"Damn it," I groaned. I pulled out my phone to search for a hotel, restaurant, or bar I could stay in until this car incident could be fixed.

I held the home button of my iPhone.

"Siri," I muttered," search, "nearest repair shop in Google maps."

"Hello, Xavier. Nearest is Ryan's Repairs," Siri replied while a map overcame the phone's screen, giving me an estimated forty-seven minute walk.

"Nearest hotel," I suggested.

"Savannah Mansion Hotel. Fourteen minute walk," Siri declared, pulling up a different map.

Knowing I had no other choice, I decided to start walking, hoping to reach my destination before it got dark.

After a brisk fifteen minute walk, under the night sky and howling wind, I finally reached my location- the hotel.

By the time the plain big building came into view, exhaustion pulled at my shoulders and a set of violent shivers worked their way down my spine.