Extended version. 02

~Amanda~

Climbing up the staircase, I found Xavier waiting outside, fiddling with his unlit cigarette while his lawyer was explaining something to him.

I was never able to make him stop smoking.

I pretended not to see him and walked past him, glad that he didn't notice me.

Or so I thought.

 I felt something grab my arm. "Not so fast."

"What do you want?" I asked with a stern voice, not acknowledging his lawyer.

"You're quite the actress Amanda," he muttered, bringing the cigarette to his lips.

"You're quite naive," I replied, rolling my eyes.

He chuckled, balancing the cigarette between his lips, trying to tempt me.

"Could you stop that," I hissed, taking the cigarette and dropping it.

"You see Amanda I still know your weaknesses and desires," he started, smirking at me. "I can tell you do too," he ended with a lower voice, running his hand through my hair.

"Of course, that's why it was so easy to hand you in. I had to remember everything about you, even though it took a lot of effort."

He leaned closer making me smell his signature perfume and whispered in my ear, "keep lying to yourself," before standing up right.

His whisper had an unseen edge to it that made me tingle in a little surge of nerves.

With a quick recovery, I leaned towards him and said, "in your dreams."

He shook his head running his hand through his hair before he mumbled the word "stubborn".

He let go of my hand but I found myself still standing in front of him.

"If you really love me you'd give everything up," he blurted, surprising me.

"It's impossible to give it up, because I don't actually love you," I snapped before walking away from him.

I went into the court room, head held up high, putting up a facade.

I greeted our lawyer and settled next to him.  He was known for his power and manipulation, one of the main reasons my mother picked him.

The rest filed into the court room while I settled in.

The second the judge started speaking, I zoned out and focused on irrelevant things, not listening to anything being said.

A while later, I heard my name being called several times and a weight on my shoulder, making me snap from my thoughts.

I looked up confused, seeing everyone staring at me.

"Say it," my mom pressured, giving me a smile.

"I-I-"

"She says yes," my mom answered for me.

"Let her say it," Xavier snapped and I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

 The judge banged his hammer against the prosceanum arch repeatedly demanding both my mother and Xavier to order, making me more nervous than I was.