Questions and The Whole Family

"So, how hard is curing cancer?" Julie asked, as Tobin smacked her arm. "Ouch!"

"It's cancer dumbass." Tobin said, as we all drank some water and relaxed.

"It was just a question." Julie said.

"It's a fair question." I said. "And very hard." I said, as the defender nodded.

"So, if you're curing cancer, are you some kind of doctor?" Mal asked, as Alex gave me an apologetic look.

"Sort of." I said. "Um, I have a Ph.D in biomedical science, biochemistry science, and engineering. So I'm a doctor, but not the kind in a hospital." I said, as they all seemed to nod.

"Okay, I think she might be smarter than Barney or Buehler." Kelley said, as Alex hung her head.

"She's a scientist Kel, of course she is." Tobin said.

"Wait, wait." Julie said, and sat up on her knees. "So technically, people call you Dr. King, right?" Julie asked, and I nodded. "Like Dr. Martin Luther King?"

"Ah, well were not related, if that's what you're implying?" I asked, as she shook her head.

"I'm not, I just think it's kind of cool that you're Dr. King, curing cancer, and he was Dr. King, fighting for civil rights. It's just kind of cool." Julie said.

"JJ-" Alex said. "Shut up."

"No, no. It's okay." I said, placing my hand on Alex's knee. "I don't mind the questions."

"Yeah, Alex. She doesn't mind the questions." Kelley said, and came to sit in front of me. "So you played soccer at MIT."

"I did." I said.

"How were your stats?" Kelley asked, as Alex fell back onto the pitch.

"Um, I was all time leading scorer and assister the two years I played." I said.

"Only two years?" Kelley asked.

"I tore my Achilles at the end of my sophomore year, I never played soccer after that. Until today, at least." I said, as they all nodded.

"That sucks, sorry." Kelley said, as I nodded.

"It's all good. I don't reminisce on it much, I never planned on playing soccer forever. I just did it because it's what made me happy." I said, as they all seemed to be staring at me. "But then science came along, as did my kids. So it's all okay."

"When did you have Astrid?" JJ asked.

"Uh, when I was eighteen." I said, and scratched the back of my neck. "My-late husband and I met in high school." I explained. "My mom wasn't to happy." They laughed at that.

"So what about your family, do you have siblings?" Kelley asked, as Alex threw a ball at her.

"Yeah." I said, as I hit Alex's thigh. "I have three siblings. An older sister, Camden, but we call her Cammie. She's thirty, and travels around a lot. She's a lawyer. Then I have a younger brother, Holland. He's twenty four, and is a doctor, a surgeon. And my youngest sister, Kensington is twenty one. She has a teaching degree, but hasn't found a school yet." I told them.

"That's a pretty big family." Julie said, and I nodded.

"Yeah, we always joke that Holland's our moms favorite, which he is. Cammie hasn't been home in years, I got pregnant when I was eighteen, and Kens has been arrested more times then I can count." I said, as they smiled slightly.

"Your sister sounds like a blast." Kelley said. "She party a lot?"

"Kelley!" Alex yelled, as I laughed.